Login Register
 °

Fire severely damages launderette in Totnes

By e_glanfield  |  Posted: September 30, 2012

fireengine
Comments (0)

A fire broke out at a launderette in Totnes last night while firefighters were tackling a blaze at a hotel just a few hundred yards away.

Fire crews from Ashburton and Torquay were called to the laundrette in the High Street just after 10pm.

Local fire crews were busy battling a large blaze at the Royal Seven Stars Hotel at the bottom of the town.

Upon arrival at the scene, firefighters confirmed a fire on the ground-floor of the launderette involving a tumble-dryer.

Related content

Crews wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet, one main covering jet and a thermal imaging camera to tackle the blaze.

They cleared the property of smoke using a positive pressure ventilation fan.

The fire was extinguished by 11.30pm.

The three-storey property was made up of a launderette on the ground-floor and two flats above.

Fire chiefs confirmed the launderette was severely damaged by heat and smoke but both of the flats above were unaffected.

Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service said the cause of the fire was believed to be accidental.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES