Login Register

£1m drug gang courier faces jail after stash found with pasties

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: November 12, 2013

Simon Kinney admitted supplying £50,000 of heroin to a grandmother

A drug courier is facing jail after he admitted supplying heroin to a grandmother who hid the drugs among her supply of Cornish pasties.

Simon Kinney brought the £50,000 consignment from Liverpool before it was passed on to pensioners Michael and Teresa Wood, who drove it back to Bodmin.

They were part of three generations of the same family who have already been jailed for their part in a £1 million plot to bring heroin from the North West to Tiverton, Exeter, Torbay and Cornwall.

Kinney, aged 49, was tracked down by police after an appeal on the BBC Crimewatch programme last year and arrested after being traced through his family and encouraged to give himself up.

Related content

Kinney, from Liverpool, admitted conspiracy to supply class A drugs. His sentence was adjourned and a pre sentence report was ordered by Judge Francis Gilbert, QC. He was remanded in custody.

The judge warned him: "You must expect a custodial sentence."

Kinney was part of a gang which brought an estimated £1 million of heroin into Devon and Cornwall until it was targeted by a two-year police surveillance operation.

The supply chain started in Liverpool and passed through Torbay before the drugs were distributed over a wide area which included Tiverton, East Devon and Cornwall.

Three generations of the same Cornish family took part in the plot by which a stream of couriers brought drugs to Torbay and Bodmin.

Grandparents Michael and Teresa Wood helped two of their three sons and their grandson run the supply chain.

The couple were stopped as they drove from Torbay back to Bodmin with £50,000 worth of heroin in granny Wood's shopping bag alongside the Cornish pasties she had bought for their supper.

Kinney's role was as courier and he made two trips. The first was to Torbay, where his package of heroin was passed to Michael and Teresa Wood before they were intercepted as they drove back to Bodmin.

The second was to Bodmin itself and was among the last consignments before police swooped on Ivan and Calvin Wood at their homes in Monument Way.

The hub of the distribution network was in Torbay.

At a hearing earlier this year Michael Wood, aged 75, was jailed for six-and-a-half years; his wife Teresa, aged 63, and grandson Jake, aged 24, were both jailed for four years. All lived at Furze Hill, Bodmin.

The couple's sons Ivan Wood, 43, was jailed for nine years and his brother Calvin, 41, for six. They both lived at Monument Way, Bodmin.

The main organiser in Torbay, Mark Gale, 41, of Willow Avenue, Torquay, was jailed for eight years and street dealer Richard Heywood, who sold drugs from addresses in Berry Pomeroy and Dornafield Drive, Ipplepen, Newton Abbot, for three years and eight months.

One of the gang leaders Craig Corrigan, aged 23, was jailed for nine years. Couriers John Pogue, aged 27, Keith Anderson, aged 30, and Vincent Toohey, aged 29, all from Liverpool, were jailed for six, six and four-and-a-half years respectively.

Money launderers Ryan Morgan, aged 29, and Brian McDonald, aged 48, also from Liverpool, were jailed for two years and 16 months respectively. Key conspirator Stephen Blundell is on the run and will be sentenced later.

All the defendants admitted conspiracy to supply class A drugs with the exception of Teresa Wood and Mark Gale, who denied the charge and were convicted.

Read more from Western Morning News