Login Register

One-point loss dents unbeaten Reds run

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: October 15, 2012

Comments (0)

Director of rugby Adrian Edwards was philosophical after Redruth lost their unbeaten National Two South record with a 27-26 loss at Worthing.

"I'm disappointed because I thought we had done enough to win, but on a positive sometimes it is the way you lose," he said. "We had so much territory and possession towards the end. It was probably our best performance of the season, with the effort and commitment."

Redruth dominated the final 15 minutes, when they were just a point behind, and Lewis Vinnicombe was pushed into touch inches from the line.

The lead changed hands five times and there were red cards for home prop Joe Burns and visiting back Greg Goodfellow after a 54th-minute altercation. Redruth captain Chris Fuca was forced off after a heavy first-half knock.

Worthing took a very early lead, skipper Matt Miles dummying his way over for a try that Matt McLean converted.

Redruth levelled when giant Royal Navy prop Tom Blackburn crashed over on his debut for a try. Paul Thirlby converted before kicking tenth and 25th-minute penalties.

Worthing regained the lead with a converted try from flanker Sam Hewick after 28 minutes. Redruth took a four-point lead when a powerful catch and drive led to an unconverted Darren Jacques try.

The hosts clawed their way back in front with two close-range penalties by McLean.

After the red cards, Redruth pulled back in front with Thirlby's third penalty.

A turnover 35 metres out saw the Reds concede a scrum and powerful home centre Kiba Richards strolled over the line for a try that McLean converted for a six-point lead.

Jacques peeled off the back of a ruck to go over for his second try in the right-hand corner with 14 minutes left but Redruth decided not to go for a difficult penalty wide out on the right as Worthing held on.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters