Login Register

Discussion

“Cyclist are an absolute hazard on the narrow but busy road between Braunton and Trelawney garden centre at Ashford. Every day between 7:30am and 08:30am Traffic is held up behind bikes.

I have seen long tailbacks all because selfish persons on bikes won't use the Tarka trail that runs parralel with the busy road.

Tell me why I who pays road tax has to sit behind a bicycle for almost the length of the road while vehicles struggle to get past.

Oh and I've heard the weak suggestion that I should get a bike it'd healthier. I work a Tiverton so can't get a bike and wouldn't be so selfish anyway.”

By dalestuckley Posted: October 09, 2012

4 comments

4 replies

Start the discussion

max 4000 characters
  • loramski  |  October 12 2012, 11:49PM

You don't pay road tax - no-one does. If you have a car, you pay vehicle excise duty. This is partly to offset the damage that cars do to the road and for the pollution they produce. Highways are maintained out of general taxation paid by all - not just motorists. Cyclists have as much right to be on the road as any other vehicle.

• yveyk  |  October 30 2012, 10:18PM

Cyclists might ride environmentally friendly machines, but are they? How big is their carbon footprint when cars are queued up behind them getting less miles to the litre/gallon than they should. How environmentally friendly is it when cyclists hold up traffic in busy urban streets while the cars belch out polutants? Personally, I'd like to see cyclists taxed and insured the same as the rest of us road users. Everyone over 16 who rides a bike to work/commuting should pay £10 per year for tax hand have a minimum of 3rd party insurance. They should also hold a cycling proficiency certificate to prove they understand the rules of the road! Like stopping at traffic lights etc.

• Bush Tech  |  December 12 2012, 5:41PM

Well guy's a possible solution might be to get your selves a bike! I doubt you'll be held up then! I love the fact the country expect athletes to perform at top level but whine when they train!

• steve_1234  |  January 05 2013, 10:57PM

Agree absolutely, Cyclists are invariably selfish, they are a hazzard to themselves and other road users, the government needs to legislate and limit the use of cycles on most of our roads.

START A DISCUSSION

Something about your area!