Login Register

Two cut from wreckage after high-speed crash

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: November 19, 2012

  • Emergency services at the scene of the collision in Plymouth. Picture: Lucy Blake

Comments (0)

This was the chaotic scene in a quiet residential street after two cars smashed head on in a "high speed" crash.

Shocked residents described hearing a "massive bang" when two vehicles collided on Lipson Road.

A motorist involved in the accident was seriously hurt and will remain in hospital for a week, police said.

He was cut out of a Subaru Impreza which was left crumpled beyond recognition on the side of the road.

A Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue Service spokesman described the crash as being "head-on" and of a "high-speed" nature.

Police are now considering an investigation into the accident.

Emergency services raced to the scene, where two men were trapped inside the wreckage of the Subaru.

Two other people who had been travelling in a black Ford Focus were described as "walking wounded" after their car ended up on a grass verge.

Both vehicles had also collided with parked cars near the junction with Coleridge Road in the aftermath of the smash, covering the road in debris.

Several people dialled 999 reporting the high-impact crash, which happened at 7pm on Saturday.

Police, paramedics and firefighters had all arrived within minutes.

Two fire crews from Greenbank attended, spending several hours at the scene. They used four sets of hydraulic rescue equipment and small tools to free the two trapped men, needing a special lighting rig to illuminate the wreckage.

They cut the roof from the Subaru and the two injured people were placed on spinal boards.

Both were taken to Derriford Hospital by land ambulance after being freed.

A police spokesman said neither man suffered life-threatening injuries. However, the driver, who is thought to be a local man in his 30s, will remain in hospital for around a week. He was visibly in pain as he was removed from the vehicle, surrounded by emergency services personnel.

The man suffered what were described as "potentially life-changing injuries" and is set to undergo surgery to insert pins into his leg.

No action has been taken against either driver but the police spokesman said there could be an investigation.

The accident happened just before a sharp bend near a steep hill in Lipson Road, as the route approaches Alexandra Road.

The road was reopened at around 12.45am on Sunday.

Kate Gilmore, who lives in Lipson Road, said she heard a "massive bang" - even though her bedroom was at the rear of the property.

Her Citroen C3 was one of the parked cars damaged in the crash, and is now temporarily off the road.

The police then knocked on her front door and she said she could hear one injured man "screaming" in pain.

"I just heard a massive bang," the 23-year-old said. "I thought someone in the house had broken something but then we went outside and saw the crash.

"I'm glad everyone is okay considering how bad it looked."

Student Milly Fry, who also lives in Lipson Road, said: "I heard it and then we came outside and someone who was staying in the house called the police. There were cars everywhere. We were just amazed that the two guys in the other car were okay."

Less than two weeks ago, on November 6, 20-year-old pillion rider Nathan Kendall, from Plympton, tragically lost his life following a 7am motorcycle accident just a few hundred metres away in Alexandra Road.

Anybody who witnessed Saturday's incident should call the police on 101 quoting log number 653 of November 17.

Elderly pedestrian in critical condition after collision with car

Teenager killed in South Devon motorcycle crash

Arsonists set fire to van in Tesco car park

Driver injured in power pole collision

Head-on crash on Tamar Bridge

Diver airlifted out of Exmouth Marina

Chemical accident at Ambrosia factory in Lifton

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters