Login Register

Yellow card gives green light to Fishermen to win see-saw game

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: March 02, 2014

By Conrad Sutcliffe

Dan Parkes

Dan Parkes

Comments (0)

BRIXHAM coach Dan Parkes said it took a sin-binning for his side to turn around their National Three South West clash at Worcester Wanderers on Saturday.

The Fishermen won a see-saw game 36-35 having been 35-19 down with barely ten minutes to go.

Scrum-half Andy Sandercock had just been dispatched to the sin-bin and the odds were stacked in favour of a home win.

Losing Sandercock sparked Brixham into life and they scored three tries to none to move within a point. Sam Simmonds got one, his second of the match, and lock Rhys Cattell bagged the last two tries to leave Brixham a point down.

Jonny Brown potted the winning conversion with the last kick of the match.

“Sam Simmonds scored a in the first minute for us – he caught the kick-off and ran 70 metres to put it down between their posts – and after that we were awful,” said Parkes, who played for the first 25 minutes as Brixham were a prop short. “Against Barnstaple last week we lacked passion and desire, and it was much the same at Worcester.

“Going down to 14 men seemed to invigorate us. The boys tore up the game-plan and just went for it. In less than ten minutes the 14 men went from having nothing at all to a bonus point win.”

Brown took over the kicking after Ben Lovell was substituted in the second half having earlier landed a conversion and four penalties.

Barnstaple’s crashed to a 51-0 defeat against leaders Lydney on a day of unwanted landmarks. It was Barum’s heaviest defeat of the season and their worst loss at home since Hartpury won 50-12 at Pottington in October 2010.

You have to go back to January 2008 for Barnstaple’s last pointless afternoon – an 8-0 defeat by Taunton.

Newton Abbot were left wondering what they had to do to be awarded a penalty try at Weston-super-Mare, where they felt they deserved one close to full time.

Weston held on under pressure to win 19-13 having been pounded up front by Newton in the latter stages of the game.

“We set up driving mauls going for their line which were collapsed twice by Weston,” said Newton’s director of rugby Roy Henderson.

“The referee yellow carded someone both times so Weston were down to 13. When a third one went down we expected a penalty try, but got nothing.

“As both our tries were scored from driving mauls – Matt Newman then Ben Cole – we felt a bit hard done by.”

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters