Login Register

Wrey arms are full of silverware

By This is Devon  |  Posted: May 06, 2010

TOUGH TACKLE: Jamie Rockey slides in on Marc Churchill. 1005-20_03

Comments (0)

Mark Jenkin

THE SILVERWARE is mounting up at the Wrey Arms.

Wrey turned on the style in the second half to clinch the Hansen Cup final 3-1 against Anchor at Vicarage Field in Torrington on Monday.

With the Journal Cup already at the pub, the Barnstaple team can make it a treble if they seal the North Devon League intermediate two championship.

It has been quite a season for the team who showed their skill after a captain's goal from Mike Knott got them back in the game. Jimmy Hill and Dan Dayman rounded off the fightback.

Until half time, Anchor were all set to spoil the party.

Wearing their new orange strip, the Bideford side made a bright start and deservedly grabbed the lead as Jamie Rockey chased a ball over the top from Steve Hollingsworth.

Sliding to beat on-rushing goalkeeper Kevin Weir, he rolled a shot into the empty net from 20 yards.

The same combination almost made it 2-0 moments later, but lone striker Rockey could only shoot into the side-netting.

Rockey caused headaches with his lively front running and was named man of the match despite being sent off.

Work-rate kept Anchor on top, with Damian Shaddick and Terry Hollingsworth solid at the back.

But Wrey have not gone undefeated in the league by chance. When it mattered, they showed the ability to step up the tempo.

The equaliser from veteran midfielder Knott on 57 minutes was the first glimpse of their sharp, attacking football.

Hill started the move, playing a swift one-two with Dan Larcombe, before squaring for Knott to sweep past Dave Brooks.

A minute later, a second goal should have followed.

Brooks saved with his feet after Hill picked out Simon Larcombe, and Dan Larcombe slashed the rebound over.

Hill was starting to pull the strings and he made it 2-1 with a clinical finish from the edge of the box after a free kick from Lee Capner was only half cleared.

Terry Hollingsworth then stung Weir's hands with a fierce free kick before Wrey made the game safe with 17 minutes to go.

Dancing in from the left wing, Dan Dayman took a return pass from substitute Craig Smith to instinctively bury the third.

Three red cards in the closing stages meant the game ended on an unsavoury note.

Simon Larcombe did well to stay on his feet after an initial swipe from Rockey, but the Anchor striker chopped him down with a reckless second challenge.

Referee Neil Peake had no alternative but to send him off, along with Dan Larcombe who retaliated.

In stoppage time, Anchor were reduced to nine after substitute Wayne Jeffery caught Steve Folland late.

Anchor: Dave Brooks, Alex Morgan, Steve Parish, Damian Shaddick, Terry Hollingsworth (Lee Kerr 86), Steve Hollingsworth, Tim Durbin (Jon Norris 86), Darren Smith, Brynn Waldon (Wayne Jeffery 76), Anthony Lane, Jamie Rockey. Subs not used: Matthew Gordon, Matt Wilton.

Wrey Arms: Kevin Weir, Kirk Lace (Craig Smith 65), Dan Dayman, Steve Folland, Marc Churchill, Lee Capner (Steve Ayre 92), Mike Knott, Lee Holding, Dan Larcombe, Jimmy Hill, Simon Larcombe (Gareth Drayton 92). Subs not used: Sam Tabbener, Russell Shaddick.

Referee: Neil Peake. Assistants: Fred Saunders, Gerald Luscombe.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters