Login Register
 °

Woman treated for smoke inhalation after Keyham fire

By marcprosser  |  Posted: February 17, 2013

By Stuart Abel

Comments (2)

A WOMAN who inhaled smoke was treated by paramedics following a fire in a flat in Plymouth.

Firefighters said a living room was filled with fumes after a cushion fell on to a heater in Keyham early on Saturday.

The occupants were alerted by a smoke detector.

Two fire crews were called to the first floor flat in Saltash Road at 1am.

Firefighters found that the fire was out but the front room was filled with smoke.

Camels Head watch manager Nigel Toms said a woman was treated by paramedics for minor smoke inhalation. But she did not need to go hospital.

He added: “A cushion had fallen from a chair or settee on to a bar heater. The smoke alarm was set off.

“People in the flat were up and about and threw the cushion out of the window.

“The smoke detector went off and the people reacted, which is exactly what is meant to happen.

“It was a bit smokey in there but no real damage other than to the cushion.”

Crews used a large fan to clear away the smoke.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

2 comments

  • shipmateron  |  February 17 2013, 7:55AM

    The report doesn't mention if the occupants checked first to see if it was safe to throw the cushion out the window. What if there had been a baby in a pram directly underneath? Or a person in a wheelchair? Or someone passed out on the way home from the boozer? Could have been fatal.

    |   1
  • lemon_entry  |  February 16 2013, 7:48PM

    Maybe people shouldn't lead such an evil life then flame wouldn't feel the need to cleanse them.

    |   1

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES