Login Register

Woman dies after eating a poisonous mushroom

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: November 28, 2012

A death cap mushroom

Death cap mushroom

Comments (0)

A woman suffered fatal organ failure after eating a poisonous mushroom while foraging in a garden, it emerged yesterday.

Christina Hale, 57, died after consuming the death cap mushroom – one of the most poisonous in the world.

She was rushed to intensive care at Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton, on November 18, but she died the next day.

Her husband ate a smaller amount of the fungi and was also admitted to hospital but has now reportedly returned to their home in Bridgwater, Somerset.

The death cap mushroom – Amanita phalloides – is the most common fungus to cause death in humans because of its similar appearance to safe varieties.

It is often mistaken for a common field mushroom but just half a cap is enough to kill.

An inquest into Mrs Hale’s death was opened and adjourned by West Somerset Coroner Michael Rose, in Taunton.

A full hearing will take place at a later date.

Mr Rose said yesterday: “The cause of death was multiple organ failure due to poisoning by the death cap mushroom.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR