Login Register

Witheridge beat Torquay United in Devon St Luke's Cup

By NDJMark  |  Posted: December 11, 2013


Kyle Bassett gave Witheridge a first-half lead

Comments (0)

Witheridge have never known it so good.

After a fine run of form they are second in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League and in the last eight of the Throgmorton Cup.

Last night, there was a new high for the season, and in the club's history, with a 2-0 win over Torquay United in the Devon St Luke's Cup. 

First-half strikes from Kyle Bassett and Jordan Charran sent Witheridge through to the semi-finals for the first time and they secured a clean sheet with a last-minute penalty save by Joe Tickle.

"We are unbeaten in nine and we have won eight on the trot," said Chris Vinnicombe, the manager. "That's a credit to the squad because over the last four games I have had to change the team around because players have been away.

"Even off the pitch they stick together. Hopefully we can keep going the way we are.

"It doesn't matter if you're playing Barcelona, Torquay or Liskeard, who are bottom of our league, as long as you do the right things week in, week out."


Well-drilled and full of confidence, Witheridge got plenty right against a young Torquay team.

The breakthrough came when defender O'Neil Odofin was caught in possession and Bassett raced clear to sweep a shot past Connor Thompson.

Torquay were finding it tough to live with the pace and trickery of Bassett, Charran and Steve Ebdy in a three-pronged attack.

Eager to impress against his former club, Charran showed quick thinking to double the lead with a swerving free kick that deceived Thompson. 

The only regret for the hosts in the first half was a penalty miss from Ebdy after Charran was brought down. The skipper blazed the spot kick wildly off target.

Charran continued to torment Mace down the left wing and the Torquay right back was sent off early in the second half after hauling him down for a second yellow card.

Witheridge struggled to play with the same fluency after the break but, with Jamie Dirrane and Chris Ibbeson in commanding form at the back, they rarely looked like conceding.

A trip by Dirrane finally gave Torquay hope in stoppage time but Tickle threw himself left to save the penalty from Jake Hutchings.

Witheridge stand one game away from a place in the final of Devon's leading cup competition. They have come along way since gaining promotion from the Devon and Exeter League only seven years ago.

A trip to the winners of Tuesday's meeting between Barnstaple Town and Tiverton Town awaits in the new year.

Witheridge rose to second place in the Peninsula League Premier Division with a 2-1 win at Cullompton Rangers on Saturday.

Dave Rowe put Withy ahead with a long-range effort in the 21st minute and they doubled the lead early in the second half with Kyle Bassett heading in Jack Langford's cross.

Cullompton pulled a goal back with a chip from distance by Jack Towill.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters