Login Register

Westcountry-based Royal Marine Harry Robinson awarded Military Cross by Princess Anne at Buckingham Palace

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: May 01, 2014

By Neil Lancefield

  • Royal Marine Harry Robinson, of Taunton-based 40 Commando, after he received the Military Cross from the Princess Royal

Comments (0)

A Royal Marine medic received the Military Cross today for his life-saving actions during an attack by a rogue member of the Afghan National Army.

Marine Harry Robinson was recognised for his courageous response to the incident in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province which left one British soldier dead and six injured.

The 24-year-old gave urgent treatment to the wounded despite being shot at by the enemy gunman.

Speaking after receiving his award from the Princess Royal at Buckingham Palace, he said: “We were under fire for most of it. I have no idea how I didn’t get shot because I wasn’t being tactical in any way.

“I was on my knee just treating and then standing up and running to the next bloke.

“I have no idea how I didn’t get shot. That is the thing that baffles me to this day.”

Marine Robinson, of Taunton-based 40 Commando, said it was “almost pitch black” at the time and he was mostly “feeling for injuries” in the dark because using his torch attracted more gunfire.

After all the causalities had been assessed he remained with a man who had been shot six times – four in the torso and one in each arm.

It was “phenomenal” that the casualty survived, he said.

Marine Robinson, from Preston, explained that there was no hesitation in reacting to the shout of “medic”.

He said: “The only thing on your mind is one of your lads has been shot or you’ve got a casualty.

“The simple fact is you’re the medic and you’ve got to treat him and you want to do the best job you can for that lad. Everything else goes out of the window.”

He was accompanied to the ceremony by his parents, who he said were very proud and had been “taking pictures of everything that moves”.

Sapper Richard Walker – a member of 28 Engineer Regiment attached to 21 Engineer Regiment – was killed in the incident on January 7 last year.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack at Patrol Base Hazrat.

Sapper Walker, 23, was working on a construction task with other military engineers as part of preparations to hand the camp over to Afghan security forces.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES