Login Register

VIDEO & PHOTOS: Several properties flooded in Lynmouth

By NDJPhilippa  |  Posted: October 18, 2012

  • Flooding in Lynmouth on Wednesday night

Comments (0)

A FLOOD of over 2ft filled one of the main roads in Lynmouth last night affecting several businesses and cars.

The flood occurred as a result of high Spring tides and a southerly gale and people in the North Devon village were prepared and had sand bags in doorways.

The area of the village affected was The Esplanade and Riverside Road and police closed the area off until this morning.

Despite the preparation made yesterday properties were still damaged particularly the Bath Hotel where the business’ cellar filled with water.

Police, Lynmouth Coastguard and Environment Agency officers were all on the scene from just after 8pm until about 10.30pm before returning this morning.

Coastguard Andy Williams said: “It was one of the worst we have seen here for two or three years. As well as the water one of the main dangers were the boulders being thrown over the harbour wall by the tide.

“No one has been injured, I think we have escaped quite lightly considering, hopefully we are over the worst.”

PSCO Grace Cleverdon, who has lived in Lynton for 26 years, said the flood was unique to see.

She said: “We stood on the bridge last night and there was just water, where the road should have been it looked like another river.”

Gary Eastman, 30, from Lynton, who owns Country Hot Tubs in South Molton, said: “I had come down to The Rising Sun for a drink and stayed until midnight. Luckily my car was alright but I had to leave it here over night because the water was too deep to get through.

“The chef in the pub wasn’t so lucky though he was car stuck in the water completely, I think it was towed away this morning.”

Tim Hart, 32, from The Rising Sun confirmed the pub had not been affected and said it was a chef on his trial shift whose Volkswagen Golf had been floating in the water.

Joan Densley, 80, from Bristol, had been staying at Rock House Hotel, on the harbour edge, for a two day stay in the village.

She said: “I have never been here before but it was very exciting. When we were eating dinner last night the waves were crashing over the window.”

Mike Howarth, who has owned Rock House Hotel for five years, said: “It was definitely one of the worst I have seen last night. The hotel was fine though. After the guests had finished eating last night I put all the sutters up, I was more worried about my boat in the harbour.

“One of our staff wasn’t so lucky with his car though, it had water pouring out of it when he opened the door.”

The outside seating area of another business, The Coffee Mill, was filled with water leaving seaweed strewn over it this morning but the manager Mark Ellison said the inside of the café was unaffected.

Coastguards are hopeful that now the wind has changed direction the village will escape anymore flooding from tonight’s high tide although the Environment Agency still has the area on flood alert.

Paul Gainey, from the Environment Agency, said: “Following assessments we can confirm only the Bath Hotel and one residential property, which had 10mm of water in it, were flooded in Lynmouth. We have given sandbags to five properties as precautionary measure for tonight.”

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters