Login Register

VIDEO: Men who ended up stranded in River Mole near Umberleigh

By NDJFran  |  Posted: February 26, 2013

  • BNMS20130210C-002_C

  • BNMS20130210C-003_C

  • BNMS20130210C-004_C

  • BNMS20130210C-005_C

  • BNMS20130210C-006_C

  • BNMS20130210C-007_C

  • BNMS20130210C-008_C

  • BNMS20130210C-009_C

  • BNMS20130210C-010_C

  • zzz

Comments (0)

A video showing the moment two men became stranded after driving into the River Mole has been created by the person who discovered them.
Marek Dzrazga-Donaldson of Mole Cottage put together the clip with footage he took on Sunday February 10.
The two men had driven their 4x4 into the river near Mr Dzrazga-Donaldson's house but the vehicle got stuck and ended up being swept 60 metres downstream.
The description underneath the YouTube clip states: "Two clowns try to avail themselves of the prestigious "Darwin Awards" , but being total morons they failed in the attempt, and unfortunately the human race still is threatened by the presence of their Genes." 

Lesley Dunaway lives nearby and rang the emergency services.
She believes the two men would not have been able to safely get out of the river if it were not for the help of the emergency services.
She said: "It could have been very serious if they hadn't arrived. 15 minutes after I made the call the first emergency services arrived and 40 to 45 minutes later the boat went down from the same pathway."
The two men were keen to express they were not the ones who called for the emergency services and were waiting to be towed away by a tractor.
"That may be their view but the logical view was they were in extreme danger," said Mrs Dunaway. "It was a stupid and idiotic thing to do."
Fire crews from Chulmleigh and South Molton were called out to the scene along with a specialist rescue team from Barnstaple, two ambulances and a number of police officers.
One of the men managed to self-rescue but the other had to be brought to land via an inflatable rescue boat.
It was estimated the rescue effort would have cost over £3,000 and the driver of the vehicle was subsequently charged £80 for wasting police time.
Press officer Alan Mobbs said: "This not only wasted paramedics' time but also police and fire crews' time.
"What might seem to be a bit of a game could end tragically not only for those taking the risk but also the emergency services who are called upon to sort them out."
"The rescue operation cost thousands of pounds, all of which comes out of the taxpayer's pocket."

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters