Login Register

Truro can thank good start for progress

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: November 20, 2013

Ian Veale

Comments (0)

Truro built on a flying 4-0 foursomes start to win through to the 2014 Cornwall Team Championship semi-finals, pipping 2013 winners St Enodoc 6½-6¼ at Trevose.

Truro will now meet Trevose while 2013 runners-up West Cornwall face Camborne's Tehidy Park in the semi-finals on Sunday, February 16, next year.

At Trevose, Truro's David Kneebone and Jake Finn finished two up against Steve Chapman and Mark Justice, while Marc Bicknell and Matt Gunn beat Jack Irwin and Joe Cruse three and one.

Jared Mortimore and George Champion beat Rob Davies and Josh Walsh three and two, while Jack Mewton and Paul Suddes beat Steve Buse and Robbie Moore by the same margin.

St Enodoc's former county champion Martin Biddle won against Spike Drew to stave off a morning whitewash.

Despite a roaring comeback in the singles – and despite Walsh going five under to win his match against Kneebone – this year's CTC winners could not overtake their rivals, whose sole singles winner was Mewton.

Truro edged home as Gunn halved with Irwin, Finn with Cruse and Champion with Chapman.

Trevose countered from 3-1 down to beat St Mellion 7½-5¼ at Newquay while West Cornwall saw off Perranporth 7-5¾ at Mullion.

Elsewhere, Tehidy Park – including Cornwall captain elect Richard Simmons, his brother Peter, club secretary and experienced former county ace Ian Veale as well as new member Robert MacGregor – proved too strong for Newquay, coming home with a 7¾-5 win at Perranporth.

Nevertheless, Newquay squeezed ahead 2½-2¼ following the morning foursomes thanks to wins for Jon Hancock and Aaron Stephens as well as Peter East and Kevin Mula.

Singles wins for former county player MacGregor, the Simmons brothers, Veale and Tom Rowe saw Tehidy through to the semi-finals in the end despite the valiant efforts of Newquay's Cornwall first-team men Hancock and Matt Lock.

Cornwall Golf Union President's Trophy holders Bowood continued their defence with a 5-4 win over Lanhydrock at The Point at Polzeath to set up a February 16 semi-final against Saltash club China Fleet, who beat Mullion 6½-2½ at St Austell.

Merlin finished off Lostwithiel 6½-2½ at Trethorne to set up a semi-final against 2013 runners-up Falmouth, 5-4 winners against Carlyon Bay at West Cornwall.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters