Login Register
 °

Truro planning challenge 'puts EU funding at risk'

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: June 17, 2013

Europe

Truro planning challenge 'puts EU funding at risk'

Comments (3)

A judicial review into plans to build a park-and-ride, a Waitrose supermarket and homes on the edge of Truro has put an application for European funding at risk, according to a Cornwall Council cabinet member.

Plans for the highly-controversial Truro Eastern District Centre (TEDC), which would also include a Cornish produce food hall, recycling centre and create 200 jobs, were narrowly approved in 2012.

However, a judicial review was lodged by Truro City Council earlier this year challenging the application and is due to be determined by the High Court at the end of next month.

If unsuccessful, the door would be open for Cornwall Council, the Duchy of Cornwall, Waitrose and local food producer the Taste of Cornwall, to continue with the development, which is believed to cost around £40million.

However, an application for support from the last round of EU Convergence funding, thought to be in the millions, was said to be in jeopardy last week by Julian German, council portfolio holder for economy and culture.

In answer to a question from Conservative leader Fiona Ferguson at a cabinet meeting, Mr German stated that the judicial review had put the EU convergence funding at risk.

Mrs Ferguson said it was reminiscent of plans to redevelop Penzance harbour which lost £12 million in EU convergence funding after proposals stalled.

She said: "I was concerned about the possible loss of EU funding but I am sure the council would do everything it can to mitigate that."

She said she was yet to sit down and have a discussion with Mr German about it but said it was a possibility that the application could be transferred to the next round of EU Convergence funding awarded to Cornwall from 2014 to 2020.

The judicial review is due to be determined on July 24 and 25. Truro City and Cornwall councillor Rob Nolan said: "We are challenging the entire decision process. What we want is quite simple. We want to keep the centre of Truro vibrant as a shopping centre, out-of-town supermarkets don't help."

Elwyn Jones, chairman of Taste of Cornwall, said: "As far as I am personally concerned, if the decision goes against us we will all go off and get on with other things. If we win we will hope to be able to access the next round of funding."

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

3 comments

  • Dantwo  |  June 17 2013, 10:55AM

    Congratualtions to the previous two postings - in both cases you're spot on. Thank god someone is taking this disgraceful 'decision' to judicial review. The same should have done with the Sainsburys' development at Eastern Green but, mysteriously, those threatening JR backed out when push came to shove. Congratulations to Truro City Council - I just wish there were more councils like you in Cornwall.

    |   1
  • Gurnards_Head  |  June 17 2013, 10:14AM

    EU funding put at risk?... excellent news... a project of this nature involving a supermarket in open countryside allied to profitable open market housing should never get this type of funding anyway... this misbegotten project reeks of wheels within wheels and done deals from start to finish more especially given who the landowner is. I earnestly hope and pray the the judicial review quite rightly initiated by Truro City Council prevails and this horrible project crashes and burns.

    |   2
  • DipStick  |  June 17 2013, 9:31AM

    ""In answer to a question from Conservative leader Fiona Ferguson at a cabinet meeting, Mr German stated that the judicial review had put the EU convergence funding at risk.""" She means that we might not get some of our own money back, instead it'll go to some undefined EU project in another country. Oh to be free of the EU!!!!!!!!!! DS

    |   5

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES