Login Register

Truro on brink as FA Cup defeat is overshadowed by continuing crisis

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: September 24, 2012

Truro City striker Andy Watkins goes for goal during the Cornish club's 3-2 FA Cup defeat against AFC Totton at Treyew Road on Saturday

Comments (0)

Truro City player-manager Lee Hodges admitted "we only really played for 25 minutes" as the crisis-hit club crashed out of the FA Cup with a 3-2 second qualifying round defeat at home to AFC Totton on Saturday.

Hodges, 39, continues to put on as brave a face as possible while City – who are in administration – hope for a buyer to save the Blue Square Bet South club. He said: "It's hard to talk about matches when we don't know if we will still have a club next month.

"Obviously, we're disappointed with the result, but it means very little next to the club's survival.

"The main thing is keeping this club alive, and it's all about what happens off the field in the next week or so. The bottom line is we need a buyer, and soon."

Truro travel to Chelmsford City in Blue Square Bet South next Saturday and entertain Bath City on Tuesday week – which could be the club's last game, at least at this level.

Hodges added: "I said to the players in the changing room: Give me Saturday at Chelmsford and then Bath at home and, if there is no money, that's it. It's all over. We have two games left unless we get a buyer.

"Other clubs are interested in the players, but they are holding out. They want to stay, but something has got to happen and quickly."

As for events on the pitch against the Evo-Stik League Southern club, the honest Hodges admitted: "I have got to hold my hand up, I hashed up for the third goal, really, and that cost us because it was during a spell where we were well on top, even though we were a goal down."

Totton took a 27th-minute lead through Richard Gillespie. Michael Gosney made amends for an earlier penalty miss with a left-wing cross into the path of Gillespie, who converted from close range. City stalwart Stewart Yetton saw his shot crash off the bar as the home side sought a leveller.

Hodges added: "We were lucky to come in 1-0 down at half-time, really. We struggled to get going in the first half but the lads were great, I didn't have to say anything, they got themselves geed up for the second half. Typically one of their players has hit a 'worldy' to make it 2-0 within seconds of the restart."

Dave Allen put the Stags further ahead with a superb volley which looped over home goalkeeper Tim Sandercombe before Yetton pulled a goal back with a deft header to greet Hodges' free-kick from the left on 55 minutes.

Left-back Ben Williams and Yetton both went within inches of restoring parity as Truro entered their best spell before Gosney headed Totton 3-1 up on 79 minutes.

Truro still came back with a late scrambled stoppage-time goal from Williams, leaving Hodges to rue: "If we had scored earlier, we may have got a replay out of the game. We only really played for 25 minutes, and it shows that we are not training together at the moment. If we were, I'm sure there would have been a different outcome."

City gave a second-half debut to new signing Bobby Hopkinson in midfield.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters