Login Register

Tiverton's poor season continues as they crash out of the FA Cup

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: September 01, 2013

Tiverton Town boss John Clarkson

Comments (0)

Bideford will host Bath side Larkhall Athletic in an FA Cup first round qualifying tie on Saturday September 14.

The high flying Western League Premier Larks upset Southern League Division One South & West visitors Tiverton Town 1-0 in Saturday’s preliminary round having already accounted for league rivals Willand Rovers 4-0 in the extra preliminary round.

Rob Hobbs scored the 78th minute winner, side-footing home from close range, following good build-up play by Ross and Scott Lye for the home side.

Tiverton failed to build on a bright start in which home goalkeeper Chris Snoddy was forced to palm over a goal-bound effort.

John Clarkson’s new-look side now bid to bounce back when they host Clevedon Town in a league match at Ladysmead tomorrow night.

Clevedon arrive in town following a 4-1 home win over Larkhall’s Western League rivals Bishop Sutton.

Plymouth Parkway are the South West Peninsula League’s sole representatives in the First Qualifying Round after they defeated Western Premier side Ilfracombe Town 4-1 at Bolitho Park.

The pleasure that Parkway’s success would have given Peninsula supporters was tempered by Bodmin’s 3-2 defeat at Wells City and St Blazey’s 4-0 defeat at Brislington.

Parkway have reached the first qualifying round for the second year running and they will now travel to Southern League outfit Clevedon Town.

“We now look forward to pitting our wits against a side from a higher level and you never know what can happen in a cup competition,” said delighted Parkway manager Wayne Hillson.

Parkway dominated the first half but it was not until the final seven minutes of the half that they scored three goals.

Michael Landricombe set up Ryan Richards to hook the ball home from eight yards before Levi Landricombe showed superb skill in rounding visiting goalkeeper Curtis Parkin and slotting in from an acute angle with his right foot.

There was still enough time to add a third goal on the stroke of half time when Levi Landricombe lifted the ball over the advancing Parkin and into the net.

The second half was a less eventful affair and it was a surprise when Lewis Ovie pulled a goal back nine minutes from time, but this simply shook Parkway in to action with Danny Lewis completing the scoring.

St Blazey can draw some positives from their second half performance at Brislington but their first half shocker, when they found themselves four goals adrift, was too big a hurdle for them to climb. Their hosts will now travel to Wells City in the first qualifying round.

Western Premier side Wells earned their home tie courtesy of Mark Randall’s thumping 30 yard drive six minutes from time.

Yet it was the Peninsula visitors who opened the scoring, on 16 minutes, through Sam Matthews but goals from Tom Manning and Jamie Howson were both on target to send the home side in at the break leading 2-1.

Glyn Hobbs penalty, midway through the second half, levelled the scores and just as it appeared that they would take the tie back to Cornwall Randall’s superb strike settled the tie.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters