Login Register

McGhee welcomes arrival of much-needed attacking recruits

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: September 29, 2012

Comments (0)

Bristol Rovers manager Mark McGhee made good on his promise to add two new strikers to his squad before today's trip to Exeter City by completing deals to sign Derek Riordan and Tom Eaves.

McGhee has offered former Celtic and Hibernian striker Riordan, a three-times capped Scotland international, a short-term deal until Christmas, while Bolton Wanderers youngster Eaves, 20, has agreed an 93-day loan deal.

They will help to cover for the long-term absence of former Yeovil Town striker Matt Harrold, whose ruptured anterior cruciate ligament means he is likely to miss the rest of the season.

Both new players are expected to go straight into Rovers' squad for the npower League Two clash at St James' Park and McGhee said: "We're really pleased to bring Derek and Tom to the club at a stage of the season where it is not always easy to find the sort of quality we required.

"The injury to Matt Harrold was a real blow to us and that almost intensified the need for us to really bolster our attacking options."

Riordan was signed as a free agent after leaving St Johnstone following a short spell at the end of last season and has since trained with Championship club Blackpool, League One side Milton Keynes Dons and, most recently, Scottish Premier League newcomers Ross County.

"Derek is a bit of an enigma," said McGhee. "Some supporters will wonder about him because he is not the most industrious of players.

"When it comes to creativity, however, he can be brilliant. He has great feet and offers us fantastic shooting, passing and crossing ability. Some people will love him and others will hate him, but he will certainly bring something different to our squad. Derek could easily come here and score ten goals in 12 games if he is on top of his game."

Riordan is expected to stand trial after appearing at Edinburgh Sheriff Court earlier this month to face charges of breach of the peace and using anti-homosexual language to door staff at a nightclub in the Scottish capital on May 7.

He earlier pleaded not guilty to the charges and was granted bail. The case has been adjourned until October 9.

"We are aware of Derek's past, but the lad has convinced me that not only does he feel strongly that he is innocent of the recent charges, but that he is looking for a way out of the cycle," McGhee said.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters