Login Register

Second fatal accident on A30 in 12 hours

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: August 28, 2012

Comments (0)

A driver was killed in an early morning crash which resulted in the A30 in Cornwall being closed for more than 12 hours yesterday.

Devon and Cornwall Police were initially called to reports of a minor accident involving a BMW and a Toyota 4x4 on the westbound carriageway of the A30 near Redruth at 3.38am

However, it was later confirmed that the male driver of a black BMW, thought to be in his late teens and from the Truro area, had died at the scene of the crash.

A police spokesman said: "It appears that the BMW collided with the central barrier, span across the road and when it had come to a halt, the Toyota collided with it."

Related content

Police closed the road while specialist collision investigators examined the crash site.

The black BMW and green Toyota Landcruiser, were later removed to be examined.

The road was still closed yesterday evening with diversions being set up between the Scorrier turn off and the Redruth exit near Avers roundabout.

The fatal accident in Cornwall followed the death of a motorcyclist on the A30 in Devon on Sunday afternoon.

Police, fire and ambulance crew were called to the crash involving a rider and pillion passenger on the A30, between Stowford Cross and Sourton services, at 2.45pm.

Devon and Cornwall Police confirmed that one person had been killed while another had been seriously hurt.

The eastbound carriageway remained closed for six hours while the scene was examined. The incident caused long delays for motorists with reports of tailbacks some five miles long.

Less than an hour earlier, the emergency services had been alerted to the A30 northbound, near the junction with the A38, where a rider on a yellow Triumph Daytona, had collided with the central reservation.

A police spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said the man had suffered "serious injuries" and had been taken to Plymouth's Derriford Hospital for treatment. There was no update yesterday on his condition.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters