Login Register

REPORT: Yeovil Town 2 Charlton Athletic 2 - Nottingham Forest loanee earns unlikely point

By WGSweet  |  Posted: December 07, 2013

Yeovil Town 2 Charlton Athletic 2

Yeovil Town 2 Charlton Athletic 2

Comments (0)

TWO second half goals saw Yeovil Town snatch an unlikely draw from the jaws of victory against ten-man Charlton Athletic.

The Sky Bet Championship visitors deservedly cantered into a half-time lead as the Glovers showed little desire to seize the chance of climbing clear of the relegation zone.

However, they fell to pieces after the break as Yeovil notched two goals that were not necessarily against the run of play but came after little sustained pressure.

Unsurprisingly, Gary Johnson kept faith in the starting XI that had earned back-to-back wins as the Glovers attempted to climb clear of the relegation zone.

Related content

However, they only produced a first half of few chances where their performance was lethargic to say the best and they were dominated by more hungry opposition.

On 14 minutes a loose ball dropped for John Lundstram. His volley had keeper Ben Alnwick worried but dipped over the bar.

A minute later Ishmael Miller broke into the box and twisted and turned before firing a shot across goal the Alnwick dived and gathered.

Liam Davis had a crack from 25 yards but rifled straight at Alnwick before Miller charged down a clearance only for the ball to drop unkindly.

This proved the last of Yeovil's half-opportunities as Charlton overran their hosts' midfield and eased into a 2-0 lead.

On 28 minutes Stewart drove at goal and was only denied by Chris Dunn's airborne save, diving to his left.

Ten minutes later the former Manchester United youngster went one better as the Addicks broke with devastating effect. With Luke Ayling backing off and no other defender in support, Stewart drilled home from 20 yards.

Stewart was the thorn in Yeovil's side again on the stroke of half time. He left Ayling for dead and crossed for three unmarked Athletic players queuing at the far post, Johnnie Jackson accepting the early Christmas present to nod in.

With both Lundstram and Adam Morgan taken off at the interval, Yeovil at least started the second half in brighter fashion.

Joe Edwards was first to try his luck and miss from 20 yards on 50 minutes before substitute James Hayter dragged wide on 62 minutes.

Shane Duffy's clearance went straight up in the air after 64 minutes and when Byron Webster was unable to head away Dunn produced a stunning diving save to claw away Simon Church's overhead kick.

The Glovers gained an unlikely lifeline on 72 minutes when Joel Grant's wicked cross was turned in by Michael Morrison.

On 74 minutes they drew level. Miller was felled by replacement Andy Hughes in the box and dusted himself off to send Alnwick the wrong way from the spot.

Charlton's desperate second half turned even more sour with 12 minutes remaining. Jackson went over the top of the ball in a challenge on Ayling and was shown a straight red.

Despite the numerical advantage, the Glovers were unable to net a third and ended grateful to claim a fortunate point.

Yeovil Town (4-4-2) - Dunn; Ayling, Webster, Duffy, Davis (McAllister, 58); Edwards, Upson, Lundstram (Dawson, 46), Grant; Miller, Morgan (Hayter, 46). Unused subs: Foley, G Stewart, Hoskins, Ralls.

Goals: Morrison (og) 72, Miller (pen) 74.

Bookings: Duffy (foul), Webster (foul).

Charlton Athletic (4-4-2) - Alnwick; Wilson, Morrison, Dervite, Wiggins; C Stewart (Wood, 90), Jackson, Cousins (Hughes, 69), Stephens; Church (Solly, 82), Kermorgant. Unused subs: Pope, Evina, Green, Sordell.

Goals: Stewart 38, Jackson 45.

Bookings: Wilson (foul).

Dismissal: Jackson (professional foul).

Ref: Craig Pawson.

Att: 6,053.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters