Login Register

VIDEO: Plymouth Argyle 3 Welling United 1: Match report

By HeraldSport  |  Posted: December 07, 2013

By Chris Errington Chief Football Writer @ChrisErrington1



Comments (8)

ARGYLE will be hoping for a lucrative FA Cup third round tie against Premier League opposition after beating Welling United at Home Park on Saturday afternoon.

The Pilgrims will be ball number 58 in the televised draw, which takes place at around 4.10pm on Sunday.

Argyle had taken a 3-0 lead within 23 minutes when they beat Lincoln City 5-0 at Home Park in a FA Cup first round replay last month.

This time, it took them 21 minutes to open up the same margin, after goals from Andres Gurrieri, Curtis Nelson and Lewis Alessandra put them in control.

Unlike Lincoln, Welling did not fold and they were rewarded for a good start to the second half when striker Ross Lafayette scored in the 53rd minute.

Welling continued to dominate and had a couple of good chances to further cut Argyle's lead.

It was a far from comfortable second half for the Pilgrims, who lost goalkeeper Jake Cole to an injury and he was replaced by Luke McCormick.

It remained 3-1 until full-time, but the Football Conference Premier visitors could take credit for their spirited display.

Argyle's starting line-up for the FA Cup second round tie showed two changes from the 1-0 home defeat by Burton Albion in League Two last Saturday.

Cole continued his record of playing for the Pilgrims in all of their cup ties this season as he replaced McCormick.

Durrell Berry returned from a knee injury, with on-loan Bury winger Tope Obadeyi ruled out by a hamstring trouble.

Argyle did not have an out-and-out striker among their seven substitutes.

Sheffield Wednesday would not allow loan signing Caolan Lavery to play for the Pilgrims in the FA Cup.

Strikers Nick Chadwick and Tyler Harvey are both out on loan at the moment while Matt Lecointe and Marvin Morgan have long-term injuries.

Argyle switched to a 3-5-2 system, with Gurrieri playing behind the attacking duo of Alessandra and Reuben Reid.

Welling went with a 4-1-4-1 formation and tried to make it difficult for Argyle to open them up.

However, it took the League Two hosts 13 minutes to take the lead with a fine finish from Gurrieri.

He was released by a pass from Reid and strode into the box before slotting past 'keeper Lee Butcher.

It was only Gurrieri's third goal in 47 career appearances for Argyle and was the platform for them to really take the cup tie to Welling.

It was 2-0 in the 18th minute when the visitors failed to clear a deep free-kick from Argyle captain Conor Hourihane into the penalty area and Nelson shot low into the net.

Reid fired narrowly wide and Alessandra had a low drive kicked away for a corner by Butcher before the Pilgrims went 3-0 up in the 21st minute.

Midfielder Luke Young crossed into the penalty area after a short corner and Alessandra scored with a flicked header.

It was Alessandra's sixth goal of the campaign, and the fifth in cup competitions.

Welling had to wait until the half hour mark for their first chance of the contest when left-back Baily Cargill fired a free-kick over the bar from 18 yards out.

Reid had a great chance to put Argyle 4-0 up after a good run and cut back from Alessandra in the 38th minute but his sidefoot attempt was blocked by defender Blaine Hudson.

Moments later, Cole made an excellent save to claw away a powerful shot from Welling midfielder Alex Dyer for a corner.

It was 3-0 at half-time but, despite this, Welling made a positive start to the second period, with captain Lee Clarke sending one shot over the bar.

The visitors also forced a couple of early corners and deservedly cut their deficit in the 53rd minute.

Argyle centre-back Neal Trotman stumbled over and Lafayette was clean through.

The Welling striker delayed his shot but kept his composure and fired low past Cole into the net.

Argyle almost conceded a second goal in the 60th minute as they came under pressure.

This time, Clarke delicately chipped the ball over Cole but the ball landed on top of the netting, much to the Pilgrims' relief.

Argyle did not have a second half shot on target until the 66th minute when Butcher spilled Hourihane's long range shot and conceded a corner.

Welling's Kurtis Guthrie was booked in the 69th minute when he slid into Cole as he tried to get onto a loose ball in the box.

Cole had lengthy treatment on the pitch but could not continue, so McCormick came off the bench to replace him.

Argyle struggled to come up with any attacks as they could not retain possession of the ball for any length of time.

Welling applied a lot of pressure, and the Pilgrims did not aid their cause by conceding several free-kicks in their own territory.

Argyle defended better in the closing stages, though, as they secured a place in the third round.


ARGYLE: Jake Cole (Luke McCormick 73 mins); Maxime Blanchard (Rommy Boco 64 mins), Neal Trotman, Curtis Nelson; Durrell Berry, Luke Young (Dominic Blizzard 80 mins), Andres Gurrieri, Conor Hourihane, Jamie Reckord; Reuben Reid, Lewis Alessandra.

Substitutes (not used): Andre Blackman, Guy Branston, Paul Wotton, Hamza Bencherif.


WELLING: Lee Butcher; De'Reece Vanderhyde, Blaine Hudson, Fraser Franks, Baily Cargill; Jake Gallagher (Harry Beautyman 81 mins); Kurtis Guthrie, Alex Dyer, Lee Clarke, Joe Healy (Luis Cumbers 81 mins); Ross Lafayette.

Substitutes (not used): Doug Bergqvist, Jamie Turner (gk), Callum Webb, Sam Corne, Josh Ekim.


REFEREE: Steve Bratt (West Midlands)

ATTENDANCE: 4,706 (215 away)


GOALS – Argyle: Gurrieri 13 mins, Nelson 18 mins, Alessandra 21 mins; Welling: Lafayette 53 mins

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters


  • bobbybiscuit  |  December 08 2013, 11:03AM

    I just want to add that after 25 mins of the match yesterday we had 61% of possession so how come we ended up with only 48% of possession after 90 mins. This would seem to indicate that for nearly two thirds of the match that Arqyle struggled with less possession that a non league side. How come Arygle can only play for about 20 mins each match? Even the BBC called Argyle's second half display as "sloppy" but is that not what its like every match? Credit where credit is due that Arygle won. BUT why did the team take foot of the peddle or was it a case they were better than Argyle for longer periods? I could not go to the match yesterday as I was out on a motorbike ride helping raise funds for a children's Hospice in St Austell. When I got home i was following the match on the radio. Trots I normally agree with you but this time I think MikeSpillgan has hit the nail on the head.

    Rate   1
  • WILFWASTHEMAN  |  December 08 2013, 10:49AM

    Good display - too much at stake in the league to risk going all out once we were 3 goals up .

    Rate   1
  • plymgeorge1  |  December 08 2013, 10:44AM

    A game of two half's ,but Mike is right the game should have been loaded with goals from the boys in green (would have done wonders for their confidence ) but no, second half showing was sub standard with no one looking to get involved.But credit to Welling stuck at it and deserved their goal. Still its the season to be jolly and we are in the hat,lets hope lady luck smiles on us this afternoon and we draw a plum home tie, AH THE MAGIC OF THE CUP. Strange not seen anything on here lately from our resident comedian DR X wonder why ? and I expect our welshexcile is chewing on his leek and feeling a little sheepish this morning after Newports hammering yesterday.

    Rate   4
  • MikeSpiligan  |  December 08 2013, 7:52AM

    Well at least we have discovered the negative mark down culprit.... me old mucker trots... Okay Trotty me old fruit as you seem to enjoy backing olod Mike into a corner I'll spell it out and, as I keep stating, tell it like it is......... Firstly I did point out in my opening gambit that a 3-1 win, under circumstances where we would normally capitulate at an earlier stage, would be taken all day long. Indeed, 8 goals scored and 1 conceded in two cup games is more than a feather in Argyles cap, regardless of the opposition.... But, (and this is the bit that seems to get Trots all lathered up) 3 up in twenty minutes against a bunch of signalmen, bankers and estate agents and we can't go on to finish the job !!! If that's good enough for you Trots then I'm happy for you..... Next point : Best we can hope for.... I'll be waiting with bated at 16:10, after Chadders has banged in a hat trick against City, to see who we get in round 3... With the likes of Kidderminster and Tamworth (hopefully) still in the mix it is a racing certainty that's where we will end up.... And with just four and half thousand turning up at Home park for this one we may just as well be drawn away !!! I much preferred my verbal jousts with allbarone... at least he put up a reasonable argument for the defence.... Off to find my Argyle shirt so I can sit in the pub and bemoan the fact that Christmas is once again nearly upon us... Think I may move to Stamford hill where I can avoid the bloody event all together.... Oh, and one last thing Trots before we all get accused of taking it it too seriously, it's all vapour, the whole thing, just vapour

    Rate   -2
  • BigRab78  |  December 07 2013, 8:25PM

    Wot trots said, I agree. Wish I was there but had a commitment elsewhere and had already bought the tickets so someone else had them.

    Rate 0
  • trots  |  December 07 2013, 8:04PM

    Oh Mike, you crack me up you miserable old git!! I bet Christmas is great in your house. We are a club in a massive period of change and even being 3-0 after 20 minutes, into the 3rd round for ages with the potential of getting a bit of money from the next round yet you do your best to dampen everyone's enthusiasm. Its all an act you miserable old ******. Bet your down the pub wearing your Plymouth shirt laughing at the rest of the punters with their Man Utd shirts on!! Green Army

    Rate   1
  • MikeSpiligan  |  December 07 2013, 7:47PM

    Given the fact we usually go out to non-league a round before this you'll take a 3-1 all day long, but....... 3 up in twenty minutes and they come out and win the second half... Not good enough for me, may be good enough for Sherridan but at 3-nil up I want to see them dead and buried.... As I said before kick off... no plan A let alone plan B, gifted at least two of the goals from sloppy defending. Best we can hope for ? An away trip to whatever non-league dross is still in the hat... Attendance by the way... waning and interest dwindling rapidly.... Crimbo on the way and people aint going to turn up and watch third rate performances.... Loads of talk pre-match, they certainly talk the talk, but come match day it's Ground hog day week in week out... week in week out (did I already say that ? )

    Rate   -6
  • trots  |  December 07 2013, 5:13PM

    Seems they took their foot of the pedal which is always dangerous but into the 3rd is a great achievement. Playing non league opposition is never easy, just ask Northampton and Newport after today's results. Proves that we need another striker because the loanee from Wednesday won't be available for the 3rd round so getting someone in who isn't cup tied could be an issue. Home draw would be great, don't care who but a top side would be good to earn a few quid. Well done PAFC for overcoming a difficult draw and appears that Max's dream came true Welsh exile 😜😜😜😜 So number 58 at 4:10 it is. Home draw and two top games in 3 days, Torquay on the 1st Jan and round 3 on the Saturday.

    Rate   2