Login Register

Penzance plummet to new depths after record defeat at Torpoint

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: March 11, 2013

Penzance plummet to new depths after record defeat at Torpoint

Comments (0)

If last weekend's defeat at home to fellow strugglers Liskeard Athletic was not bad enough for the long-suffering Penzance fans, then the humiliation of a record defeat Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Premier Division defeat must have been even harder to accept.

The relegation-threatened Magpies were thrashed 12-1 at Torpoint Athletic on Saturday and are now 13 points adrift at the bottom of the table, with just seven league games left to play in a season that they will want to forget.

They have seven games in which to avoid the shame of getting relegated without a League victory to their name, but on this performance it is hard to see where a victory would come from.

Lewis Kershaw led the way for Athletic, notching five goals, Darren Hicks included a penalty in his hat-trick, with single efforts from Josh Fenwick, Luke Avis-Riordan, Shane White and Dave Smith.

Liskeard made the day even worse for Penzance as they recorded a superb 1-0 victory over St Austell at Lux Park, which leaves Paul Blatchford's Blues closely looking at the two clubs above them and not the one behind.

The all-important goal came 15 minutes from time when Matt Lyndsay's effort came back off a post and, when the ball was returned in to the area, it was spilled by the Lilywhites' goalkeeper for Chris Canham to slam into the roof of the net.

Cullompton Rangers and Falmouth Town, who are the clubs immediately above Liskeard, both suffered narrow defeats.

Rangers lost 2-1 at home to Newquay, where Josh Harris and a Danny Brook penalty, either side of Jack Towill's effort, saw the Peppermints to victory.

Falmouth put up a spirited performance at second-placed Plymouth Parkway, who won 1-0 thanks to Warren Daw's 74th-minute effort.

The pressure had been put on Parkway after third-placed Elburton Villa had won 3-1 at Tavistock the previous evening.

Ian Holmes gave Tavistock an eighth-minute lead which Levi Landricombe cancelled out 12 minutes later. It was not until the 84th minute that Michael Landricombe restored the lead for Villa, who then saw his brother Levi sent off for collecting a second caution before Ray Spear completed the scoring.

Two goals from Danny Zalick gave Saltash United a 2-0 home success over Liverton United. Liam Sandercock and Patrick Rushton, from the penalty spot, were on target for Camelford, but visitors Bovey Tracey earned a point thanks to goals from Hayden Roe and Jared Lewington.

Title-favourites Bodmin Town left it late to beat Witheridge 2-1 at Priory Park, where they came from behind to score twice in stoppage time and maintain their five-point lead at the top of the table.

Richard Blake forced the ball home from close range to give Witheridge a 75th-minute lead, but substitute Luke Hodge's looping header equalised in the first minute of stoppage time. Lewis Reed's cross-cum-shot found the back of the visitors' net three minutes later.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters