Login Register

Parents of boy, 2, killed in Torquay crash remain in a 'critical condition'

By e_glanfield  |  Posted: July 09, 2012

The parents of a two-year-old boy who died in a car crash in Torquay remained in a ‘critical condition’ in hospital on Monday morning.

Twenty-five emergency service vehicles were called to the scene of the two-car cash, which occurred on Hamelin Way at around 2.44pm on Friday.

A two-year-old child and a man from Torquay died following the horrific crash.

The parents of the child, a 39-year-old man and 36-year-old woman, remain critically ill in hospital.

Related content

Police have also confirmed the woman was pregnant at the time of crash and an operation has been carried out in an attempt to save the unborn child. However, sadly the child did not survive.

It is understood a car being driven by a family-of-three from Cork, Ireland, was involved in a collision with a car being driven by a man from Torquay, who is believed to be from Poland originally.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: "The single driver of the Vauxhall Vectra, a local man aged in his twenties, sustained serious injuries and has since died in Derriford Hospital having been conveyed there by the air ambulance.

“The second vehicle involved in the collision was a Volkswagen Golf and registered to Cork in Ireland.”

“The three occupants of the vehicle - a man, woman and young child - also sustained serious injuries.

“The man was taken by land ambulance to Derriford Hospital while the woman and child were conveyed to Torbay Hospital by air ambulance. The two-year-old child later died of his injuries.”

“The driver, a 39-year-old man, remains in intensive care in Derriford Hospital and in a critical condition having undergone surgery.

“The 36-year-old woman, who was a front seat passenger, was initially conveyed to Torbay Hospital but later transferred by land ambulance to Derriford Hospital. She remains in a critical condition.

"The female casualty was pregnant and an operation was carried out to save the unborn child, however the child did not survive."

The road was closed for over ten hours while collision investigators carried out investigations into the circumstances surrounding the crash.

The road re-opened just before 2.30am this morning.

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: “The weather conditions at the time were challenging with heavy rain falling creating an extremely difficult working environment for the emergency services and it was very traumatic for all involved.

“Family liaison officers have been appointed to support the families of those involved in this incident.”

“A joint investigation is currently underway by detectives from the Major Crime Investigation Team and collision investigators from the Serious Collision Investigation Unit.”

The collision was witnessed by a police officer and therefore the incident has been voluntarily referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission as a matter of course.

Paul Netherton, Assistant Chief Constable of Devon and Cornwall Police, described the incident as “extremely traumatic”.

He added the adverse weather conditions being experienced throughout the country did not contribute to the cause of the collision.

Any witnesses to the collision are asked to call police on 101 and quote log 0405 of 6 July.

Read more from Western Morning News