Login Register

Pack powers Redruth to home win as Duncan helps himself to hat-trick

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: February 25, 2013

Redruth No.8 Tom Duncan dives over for his hat-trick despite the best efforts of Barking full-back Alex Foster  picture:  Simon Bryant/Iktisphoto

Redruth No.8 Tom Duncan dives over for his hat-trick despite the best efforts of Barking full-back Alex Foster picture: Simon Bryant/Iktisphoto

Comments (0)

at the Recreation Ground

Redruth's No.8 Tom Duncan helped himself to three of Redruth's eight tries as the Reds got back to winning ways with a 46-17 thrashing of National Two South basement side Barking.

At times Barking belied their lowly position as they pushed Redruth all the way for the first 50 minutes until, once again, the Redruth pack proved the decisive factor in creating the platform for victory.

Redruth's director of rugby Adrian Edwards was happy with his side's performance. He said. "It was a hard-fought win, Barking played with a lot of spirit and pushed us at times. After last week's loss it was important to get the bonus point win.

"We changed the team a little this week. Some of the changes were enforced we've still got a few players out injured such as Lewis Vinnicombe and Luke Collins, while Dan Job has also picked up an injury and a couple of others like Owen Hambly and Ben Priddey are away, but some of the youngsters today such as Jake Rayment and Neil Broadbank played exceptionally well.

"Hopefully we will have Collins back next week but then where do you fit him in after Rayment's great game, it will give us more strength on the bench that's for sure."

Redruth got off to an excellent start with an early un-converted try scored by Duncan, following a good break from winger Tom Notman in midfield.

Redruth rode their luck as the visitors had a try chalked off for a forward pass. A good period of pressure in the Barking twenty-two was rewarded when hooker Neal Turner was driven over from a catch-and-drive. Fly-half Ashley Hosking added the conversion.

On the half-hour mark Redruth added a third try, breaking from the base of the scrum, number nine Greg Goodfellow ran hard down the blind side to set up Duncan for his second try in the scoreboard corner.

Barking then made the most of an error in the Redruth defence which allowed centre Jay Udo-Udoma to score under the posts. Skipper and fly-half Craig Ratford added the conversion as he did a penalty shortly after to leave the half-time score 17-10 to Redruth.

The east London side then shocked the Reds scoring a second try just 30 seconds into the second half through winger Charlie Baffour-Awuah, Ratford's conversion tying up the scores.

Redruth struck back, skipper Chris Fuca claiming the re-start to feed Notman who scored in Hell Fire Corner to secure the try-scoring bonus point. The Redruth pack began to dominate the Barking eight with young lock Rayment catching the eye, while fellow lock Damien Cook was at his rampaging best.

Prop Darren Jacques powered over for Redruth's fifth and sixth tries both coming from catch-and-drives, Paul Thirlby, on as a second half replacement converting the first of Jacques' brace taking Redruth to 34-17.

Referee Nick Williams had no hesitation in awarding Redruth a penalty-try after Barking wheeled the scrum as Redruth drove for the line, Thirlby's conversion making it 41-17.

Duncan then completed the points scoring with his third try of the game – and 18th of the season – to seal a fine second-half display from Redruth and ahead of next Saturday's home game against Lydney.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters