A wounded man was found unconscious in his Kingsbridge flat by firefighters.
One fire crew from Kingsbridge were called to the flat on Kings Market, Fore Street, at 6:34am today, following a call from a neighbour in the flat above reporting a smoke detector sounding for hours.
There was no sign of fire but music was playing, and the occupant was believed to be inside.
A fire spokesperson said: "The crew had difficulty gaining entry through the front door and gained entry via a window using a ladder.
"Once in crews confirmed the occupant (a 40-year-old man) was unconscious on the floor and food that had been left unattended on the cooker, had been on fire, but was subsequently out on our arrival."
The fire left the flat heavily smoke logged and the occupant suffered smoke inhalation.
He was also bleeding heavily from a wound.
The crew issued first aid to the man until the arrival of the ambulance, and made the cooker area safe, also ventilating the property.
The incident was left in the hands police.