Login Register

Man suffers burns following fire in barn near Exeter

By e_glanfield  |  Posted: September 02, 2012

Fire engine
Comments (0)

A man suffered burns after a grain dryer caught fire in a barn on the outskirts of Exeter on Saturday afternoon.

Fire crews from Danes Castle and Topsham were called to the incident in Farringdon at around 4.20pm.

The three-storey grain dryer, containing around ten tonnes of oat grain, was well alight when firefighters arrived.

Crews set to work using two hose reel jets to tackle the blaze, but at 5.52pm a further two fire crews were requested to assist.

Fire engines from Middlemoor and Exmouth arrived at the scene. Ambulance crews also attended to treat a man for minor burns.

At 6.07pm firefighters continued to use two hose reel jets to dampen the blaze and a thermal imaging camera to check for hotspots.

Fire crews confirmed the fire was out by 6.30pm and approximately ten tonnes of oats had been severely damaged by fire.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR