Login Register

Man hit drinker over head with glass in brawl at Plymouth pub

By Plymouth Herald  |  Posted: December 02, 2013

A DRINKER smashed a man over the head with a glass in an “old-fashioned pub brawl”, a court heard.

Matthew Dundas, aged 21, lashed out during a fight which has seen four men convicted, Plymouth Crown Court was told.

Co-defendant Stephen Dunn was left with a cut to his head and a black eye after the brawl in the Falstaff in Southway.

Fining him £400, Recorder Michael Vere-Hodge said: “It was a disgraceful episode and it was lucky that nobody was seriously hurt.”

Dundas, of Langley Crescent, Southway, admitted affray on November 30 last year.

Julia Cox, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said Dundas, Dunn, aged 36, Stephen Brook, aged 49, and his 24-year-old son Sam Brook, were involved in an “old-fashioned pub brawl”.

She added Dunn had cornered Dundas and grabbed him by the throat.

Miss Cox said Dundas then smashed a glass over the top of Dunn’s head, even though he was being held back by others. A woman then ushered Dundas out of the pub as the fight continued, the court heard.

Miss Cox said police saw Dunn had a cut to his head and a black eye. He went to hospital but did not stay for treatment.

She added Dunn, of Hutchings Close, Tamerton Foliot, and the Brookses, both of Hendwell Close, Southway, were put on trial after denying affray.

But they were each fined £300 after the prosecution accepted guilty pleas to lesser threatening behaviour charges.

Rupert Taylor, for Dundas, said he felt shame over the offence and wanted to apologise.

He added: “It is a shame that he allowed himself to go too far for those few moments.

“He is a young man who works and is due to have a child with his partner. He is trying to do everything he can to lead an illustrious and productive life.

“He does not go back to the pub and does not drink to excess. This matter has been hanging over his head for a long time.”

Recorder Vere-Hodge said Dundas had not started the fight. He added that it would be wrong for Dundas, who pleaded guilty, to be much more severely punished than the co-defendants, who had denied the more serious charge.

He added Dundas and others had all been drinking heavily.

Recorder Vere-Hodge said: “If you drink too much, trouble follows not far behind.”

The judge fined him £400 and ordered that he pay £40 victim surcharge.

Read more from Western Morning News