Login Register

Man who sparked stand-off admits guilt

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: October 16, 2012

A man has admitted having an air rifle at his home, sparking an armed police siege.

Gary Chapman pleaded guilty to possessing the weapon during a four-hour stand-off with police in Plympton last month.

Armed officers and trained negotiators were called to the house in St Maurice Road at about 7pm on September 25.

Surrounding streets Magdalen Gardens and St Stephens Road, were cordoned off during the drama.

Police said at the time they were called after a man reportedly made threats with a weapon.

Officers later said that the offence was "domestic" and that they had seized an air rifle – but did not confirm at the time whether it had been fired.

Chapman surrendered himself voluntarily into custody at about 11pm that night.

The 49-year-old, of St Maurice Road, in Plympton, admitted possession of the air rifle with intent to cause fear of violence on September 25.

Chapman, smartly dressed in a dark suit and white shirt, pleaded guilty on his first appearance before Plymouth Crown Court.

Judge Paul Darlow ordered a full report from a probation officer on Chapman's background. His GP will also write a letter about his health.

Chapman was released on bail on condition he continues to live at his home and does not possess weapons. He was remanded in custody when he first appeared before magistrates but was later released on bail by a judge.

Police knocked on doors to speak to reassure residents in the area and explain what had happened in the days following the incident.

One neighbour told The Herald at the time that he heard yelling as he saw a man apparently throwing things from the property.

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR