Login Register

John Lundstram makes instant impact to fire in winner as Tangerines see red

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: December 03, 2013

By Chris Sweet at Huish Park

Yeovil Town left-back Liam Davis gets away from Blackpool's Stephen Dobbie at Huish Park last night  PICTURE: Gary Day/Pinnacle

Yeovil Town left-back Liam Davis gets away from Blackpool's Stephen Dobbie at Huish Park last night PICTURE: Gary Day/Pinnacle

Comments (0)


Everton loanee John Lundstram announced his arrival at Yeovil Town by notching his first goal to earn his new club back-to-back wins for the first time in the Championship before visitors Blackpool lost their discipline and had three players sent off in injury time on a hectic Tuesday night at Huish Patk.

The England Under-20 international drilled home a loose ball in the first half to inflict a third defeat of the season on the Tangerines.

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson kept faith in the starting line-up that beat Watford last Saturday, with Jamie McAllister returning from injury to replace Seth-Nana Ofori-Twumasi on the bench alongside Cardiff City's Joe Ralls, who came in for Liam Fontaine.

The Glovers took just seven minutes to offer their first threat, Joel Grant turning on a sixpence before crossing to the imperious Ishmael Miller, who headed against Gary MacKenzie.

Five minutes later Blackpool should have done better from a patient move, former Plymouth Argyle midfielder Dan Gosling heading tamely wide from Chris Basham's delivery.

On 18 minutes Shane Duffy's marauding forward run left Yeovil's defence in trouble when his poor pass set up a counter-attack. With five attackers overwhelming the Glovers' three, Tom Ince wastefully dragged wide under pressure from Byron Webster.

The misses were brought under starker focus when Yeovil broke the deadlock after 21 minutes.

Just as at Doncaster Rovers, Liam Davis's wide free-kick provided the assist and when the ball struck Webster's midriff, Lundstram was quickest to react to drill home.

With 23 minutes on the clock Yeovil were unable to clear Jack Robinson's long throw and Neal Bishop brought a fine save from Chris Dunn with a fierce volley. Isaiah Osbourne then got the run of his marker at the subsequent corner, flashing a header wide.

Blackpool goalkeeper Matt Gilks immediately booted Ed Upson's 26th-minute corner upfield and when two defenders stood off Ince's fine control, they regrouped to block the shot, Stephen Dobbie then firing over.

Miller met Davis's 37th-minute deep set-piece with a looping header, Gilks tracking back to push over from underneath his bar.

On 38 minutes Webster suffered a painful blow, throwing his head in line of a shot before Lundstram snatched at a 45th-minute effort at the other end when Miller's header dropped to him in space.

Not surprisingly, Blackpool returned for the second half in determined fashion, pushing the Glovers firmly on to the back foot.

Eight minutes after the restart Webster got the faintest of touches on Ince's cross to take the ball away from its intended destination, allowing Yeovil half a chance of regrouping, with Gosling turning and shooting straight at goalkeeper Dunn.

On 67 minutes Gilks was left rooted to the spot at Upson's sensational first-time 30-yard volley, only the width of the crossbar denying a stunning goal.

Davis won a header at a 75th-minute free-kick but Blackpool recycled play and substitute Steve Davies nodded the bouncing ball over the target.

Four Yeovil players threw themselves in the line of Dobbie's set-piece on 76 minutes and when the hosts failed to clear another long throw, Blackpool crossed only for Dobbie and Davies to see chances blocked.

On 88 minutes Ricardo Fuller spurned a golden opportunity when he volleyed wide before replacement Michael Chopra snatched at a chance when clean through moments later.

The visitors went down to nine men in the space of the final minute as first former Rangers player Kirk Broadfoot was booked for a second foul and then Fuller was then shown a straight red for a butt on Luke Ayling.

Referee Chris Sarginson needed to wave his red card once more as Gary MacKenzie fouled man-of-the-match Miller to receive a second yellow.

Yeovil Town (4-4-2): Dunn; Ayling, Webster, Duffy, Davis; Edwards, Lundstram, Upson, Grant (Ralls 81); Miller, Morgan (Hoskins 60). Substitutes (not used): McAllister, Dawson, Hayter, Foley, Stewart (gk).

Goal: Lundstram 21.

Bookings: Ayling, Upson, Hoskins.

Blackpool (4-5-1): Gilks; Basham, Broadfoot, MacKenzie, Robinson; Ince, Gosling, Osbourne (Ferguson 66), Dobbie (Chopra 79), Bishop (Davies 71); Fuller. Substitutes (not used): Grant, Warner (gk), Martinez, Blackett.

Bookings: Basham, Broadfoot, MacKenzie.

Sending off: Broadfoot 90 (second bookable offence), Fuller 90 (violent conduct), MacKenzie 90 (second bookable offence).

Referee: C Sarginson (Staffordshire).

Attendance: 5,530.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters