Login Register

Leeds send Everton crashing in Cup upset

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: September 26, 2012

Comments (0)

Championship side Leeds United produced perhaps the grandest shock of the night in the third round of the Capital One Cup, with a 2-1 defeat of in-form Everton at Elland Road.

Aidan White got the home side off to a flying start with a goal after four minutes, before Rodolph Austin added a second from close range 20 minutes from time. Sylvain Distin pulled one back for the Toffees, but Neil Warnock's side then held firm until the final whistle.

Running Leeds close in the upset stakes were Aston Villa, who overcame Manchester City 4-2 after extra time at the Etihad Stadium.

There was little sign of what was to follow when Mario Balotelli put the home side 1-0 up after 27 minutes. And even when Gareth Barry put into his own net to level the scores just before the hour mark, Aleksandar Kolarov restored the lead five minutes later.

But Gabriel Agbonlahor then stole the show for Villa, sweeping in on 70 minutes to force added time, then sending a deflected strike into the path of Charles N'Zogbia in the 96th minute to put them ahead for the first time. This time City had no answer and Agbonlahor added his second seven minutes from the whistle.

Three goals in each half saw Chelsea record the most emphatic win of the night. With John Terry, fresh from defending himself against a Football Association racism charge earlier in the day, alongside him in defence, Gary Cahill opened the scoring after four minutes. Ryan Bertrand and Juan Mata extended the lead before the break, with Oriol Romeu, Fernando Torres and Victor Moses showing Wolves no mercy in a 6-0 rout.

Two moments of individual magic proved enough for ten-man Sunderland to see off a spirited MK Dons side with a 2-0 win at Stadium:mk.

The game lacked quality for large periods but two second-half goals, a fantastic Craig Gardner free-kick and a well-taken solo effort from James McClean, secured safe passage for Sunderland.

Wigan enjoyed an emphatic 4-1 victory at West Ham. Modibo Maiga gave the Hammers an early lead but two goals by Mauro Boselli, an Ivan Ramis strike and a Jordi Gomez penalty eased Roberto Martinez's side through.

A last-minute goal by Garry Monk saw Swansea secure a hard-earned 3-2 win at Crawley. The Premier League side went ahead through a fierce Miguel Michu shot after 27 minutes before the hosts levelled through Josh Simpson just before half-time.

The League One team then took the lead thanks to Hope Akpan 17 minutes into the second half, only for the Swans to equalise 12 minutes later through Danny Graham's close-range header.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters