Login Register

JAILED: Redruth man who hammered head of childhood friend

By CMJohannaCarr  |  Posted: August 13, 2013

AN ARGUMENT over the Jeremy Kyle Show ended with a Redruth man repeatedly striking his childhood friend in the head with a claw hammer, a court has heard.

Daniel Ellis, who had known his assailant Jamie Monteith since they were around four years old, suffered several open lacerations to his head and face in the angry attack.

Monteith, 20, of Barncoose Terrace, was found guilty of wounding with intent to do grievous bodily harm by a jury on Friday after a four day trial at Truro Crown Court.

The court heard Monteith was living with Mr Ellis and a number of others in a shared house on Clinton Road, Redruth, on August 25 last year when the pair fell out over a comment made by Mr Ellis’ brother Martin that Monteith and his girlfriend should be on the popular talk show because of their arguing.

Joanna Martin, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the defendant then left the room, going to his own bedroom where he retrieved a small orange-handled claw hammer that he kept under his bed.

She said he returned to the room where Mr Ellis was with a group of friends a few moments later and started swinging the hammer at Mr Ellis’ head and face, making contact five or six times.

Ms Martin said: “There was a lot of blood and it was at that stage that (another housemate) heard the noise and came out of her room.

“She saw Jamie Monteith standing in the doorway and saying ‘I just hammered Dan’.”

The court heard that Monteith then left the house and was chased in the street by Mr Ellis. Witness called an ambulance and the police.

Montieth disappeared and was not found by police until the next day when he handed himself in.

The jury heard that Mr Ellis was rushed by ambulance to Royal Cornwall Hospital Treliske where a number of wounds to his head had to be stapled.

During the trial, Monteith denied intending to cause Mr Ellis really serious bodily harm claiming that he had been attacked first by Mr Ellis and that he had acted in self-defence.

He said: “All of them have made it up. Everything they said is a lie – that is why I am here.”

Robin Smith, for the defence, said Monteith was still a relatively young man and that he had just become the father to a very premature baby who was still in hospital.

Sentencing Monteith to five years in prison on Monday, Judge John Neligan said: “It is very good fortune that his injuries were not more serious than they actually were.

“He might have suffered brain damage; fortunately he did not do so.”

Monteith was accused of two other violent incidents in the trial, of assault by beating his then girlfriend Imogen Purdy on August 24 and of assault occasioning actual bodily harm to Mr Ellis on April 2 this year.

He was acquitted by the jury in respect of those charges.

Read more from Western Morning News