Login Register

Helston Athletic unlucky not to win Cup final

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: April 02, 2013

Comments (0)


Helston Athletic came close to ending Bodmin Town's monopoly of the Westinsure Cornwall Senior Cup as yesterday's final at Saltash United's Kimberley Stadium finished 0-0.

The Division One West team looked anything but a side from a lower level in the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League as they took the game to the Premier Division outfit, creating the better chances, but for once their strikeforce of Mark Goldsworthy and Liam Eddy were firing blanks.

Eddy, twice, and Tom Russell both had chances to open the scoring for Helston while Adam Carter had Bodmin's best chance only to pull his shot wide from 15 yards.

Carter then shot straight at Helston goalkeeper Jason Robertson before the half finished with opposing goalkeeper Kevin Miller keeping out Goldsworthy's effort with his legs.

Helston continued to look the better side in the second half, despite having manager Sid Taylor banished to the stands for dissent, and the two sides must now meet again on Tuesday, April 16, at a venue to be announced.

St Austell reserves won the Junior Cup final when they beat Illogan Royal British Legion, who finished the game with nine men, 2-1.

Phil Hutchins gave St Austell a first-half lead from the penalty spot, only for Gareth Pitt to equalise on 55 minutes.

Illogan had David Thomas pick up his second yellow and Ryan Treloar a straight red for a professional foul, before Ben Douglas forced home the winning goal in stoppage time.

Yesterday's two Peninsula League Premier Division games both ended in home victories, with Steve Ebdy, Jordan Charran and Dan Thompson scoring Witheridge's goals in their 3-2 victory over St Blazey, who replied through an own goal and Seb Broomfield's effort.

Liverton United beat Liskeard Athletic 6-2, with Stuart Bowker hitting a hat-trick alongside efforts from James Tuffey, Jordan Lam and Dan Broadway for the hosts. Matt Hawes, who also missed a penalty, and Connor Brimicombe replied for the Blues.

In Division One East, Plymstock United suffered their fifth straight defeat as goals from Liam McAuley, Sam Chapman, Scott Baxter (two) and Geoff Breslan saw Teignmouth win 5-2 at Dean Cross. Aaron Hulme and Ryan Campbell replied for the home side.

Exeter Civil Service beat struggling Crediton United 6-0 at Foxhayes. Harry Taylor and Shaun Densham were both on target twice for the victors alongside a penalty from Danny Burwood and Neil Pointing's final effort.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters