Login Register

Harvey makes most of full Plymouth Argyle debut to cancel out Torquay United opener

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: December 27, 2012

Comments (0)

Apprentice Tyler Harvey celebrated his full debut for Argyle with a 90th-minute equaliser in the Devon derby against Torquay United at Home Park yesterday.

The Pilgrims had seemed set for their first defeat in four League Two games before the 17-year-old striker fired low past Torquay goalkeeper Michael Poke.

Torquay had taken the lead with a 78th-minute goal from defender Aaron Downes. Time was running out fast for the Pilgrims until Harvey raised the roof at Home Park with his coolly-taken goal.

Harvey, who had previously made two substitute appearances at first-team level, was paired in attack with Nick Chadwick. He had found out only a couple of hours before the kick-off he would be starting the game.

The referee was Graham Salisbury, of Lancashire, and one of his two assistants was his son, Michael.

It was the first time in Football League history a father and son had been involved in a match in that way.

Torquay had not played on Saturday because their Devon derby at home to Exeter City had been postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

Harvey tried a shot from distance in only the third minute which hit Gulls' captain Lee Mansell and forced Poke into a save.

It was a blustery afternoon at Home Park and the strength of the wind made it difficult for Poke to get his clearances out of Torquay territory and it was Argyle who dominated possession early on.

Paris Cowan-Hall almost got on the end of one driven cross-shot from Argyle left-back Robbie Williams.

The home side came close to a first goal in the 17th minute after a superb run from Onismor Bhasera. The Zimbabwe international broke into the penalty area and drove the ball low into the six-yard area.

Chadwick seemed poised to slot home from close range but, at the last minute, Torquay's Kevin Nicholson got a touch to the ball and conceded a corner.

The Pilgrims started to lose their momentum as the half-hour mark approached, with their early pressure failing to lead to a goal. Midfielder Conor Hourihane skied a 25-yard shot into the Barn Park End as frustration set in for the home side.

Torquay were applying more pressure when the Pilgrims were in possession and rushed them into misplaced shots and crosses.

It remained goalless until the interval, which would have been much more satisfying for Torquay than Argyle.

The Pilgrims must have expected more of an attacking threat from their opponents in the second half, with their elements now in their favour.

Torquay had a corner in the 48th minute which was hit deep by Nathan Craig to Danny Stevens and his goalbound shot was blocked by Chadwick.

Then Gulls striker Rene Howe had a fierce close-range shot parried away by Argyle keeper Rene Gilmartin after he had turned Young inside out.

It was the first time Gilmartin had been called into serious action and, soon afterwards, Billy Bodin sent a low left-foot drive narrowly wide from 20 yards.

Argyle had a tremendous chance to take the lead in the 60th minute from a rare attack. Hourihane picked out Chadwick with a pinpoint cross into the box and the striker made a complete hash of his header.

Chadwick's miss was then matched by one from Lee Mansell.

Argyle could not clear their lines from a Craig cross and both Bodin and Stevens had attempts at goal before the ball broke to Mansell. The Torquay midfielder was only six yards out but blazed the ball over the bar from a central position.

Torquay were awarded a contentious free-kick in the 78th minute for obstruction by Darren Purse on Howe.

Nicholson's fierce 25-yard free-kick was somehow scrambled around the right post by Gilmartin. The resulting corner was curled high into the penalty area and when the ball dropped to Downes he poked it high into the net from close range.

Rhys Griffiths was sent on as an 81st minute substitute for Chadwick as Argyle tried to come up with a response to that goal.

Argyle almost equalised in the 87th minute when Poke fumbled a long-range shot from Young but then made a brilliant block to deny Griffiths from the rebound.

Moments later, Poke pulled off another outstanding save, this time from a 30-yard free-kick from Williams.

Argyle kept up their late pressure and the equaliser did come in the 90th minute.

Young slid the ball into Harvey and his accurate low shot squeezed inside the left post and nestled in the net.

Harvey raced to the fans in the Devonport End to celebrate his first senior goal for Argyle.

Mansell was stretchered off in the closing seconds after a crunching 50-50 tackle with Hourihane as the game ended honours even.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters