Login Register

Harvey is inspiration for Argyle triumph

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: October 25, 2012

Comments (0)

Plymouth Argyle striker Tyler Harvey enhanced his burgeoning reputation by scoring the first two goals for the Pilgrims in their 3-0 FA Youth Cup first-round triumph over Exeter City at Home Park last night.

There were a host of scouts from Premier League and Championship clubs at the game. They cannot fail to have been impressed by 17-year-old Harvey, who is due to turn professional with the Pilgrims next summer.

Argyle, who will be away to Oxford United or Yeovil Town in the second round, gained a victory over Exeter was fully deserved after a good all-round team performance.

Harvey impressed with his two goals, but there were also good contributions for the hosts from midfielder Andrew Elcock and lively attacker Joshua Hutchinson.

Plymouth's Matt Lecointe made his comeback from injury, playing in a central role behind Harvey. Lecointe was the one player in the Pilgrims' starting line-up with Football League experience.

Argyle's highly-rated goalkeeper Christian Walton was called into action when he made a save from Exeter striker Matt Jay after a period of pressure from the visitors.

Exeter 'keeper Christy Pym then almost palmed a swerving 25-yard shot from Elcock into his own net. The ball ended up clearing the crossbar, but Argyle did take the lead in the 28th minute.

Harvey cut in from the right flank and his first shot was blocked by a combination of Pym and the near post. The Pilgrims' striker showed good alertness to follow up and score with a simple tap-in from almost on the goal-line.

The 17-year-old had another chance shortly before half-time when his low 25-yard shot was saved by Pym, and Exeter sent on Josh Reid as a half-time substitute to play as a third centre-back to deal with the threat of Harvey.

However, Argyle extended their lead in the 48th minute with another goal from Harvey. A powerful long-range shot from River Allen was spilled by Pym and Harvey darted in to touch the ball past the 'keeper and slot it home.

Exeter almost replied immediately, as a header from captain Matt Grimes hit the underside of the bar after a corner from Ollie Watkins.

Pym made a good save from Hutchinson after an excellent ball from the influential Harvey. Hutchinson was not to be denied a goal, though, as he wrapped up the win for Argyle in the 85th minute.

Allen came up with a right-wing cross and Hutchinson headed home, off the inside of the right post. It was almost 4-0 in stoppage time, when Allen hit the inside of the same post with a fierce shot.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters