Around 6,000 chickens died when fire swept through a barn at Perkins Village, near Exeter.
The barn, around 20m x 50m was totally destroyed by fire.
Six fire crews from Exeter and east Devon battled the fire and crews removed six gas cylinders and cooled them.
Fire crews continued to dampen down using five main water jets and two ground monitors
The fire is thought to have started accidentally.
Fire appliances from Middlemoore, Sidmouth, Topsham, Danes Castle, Exmouth and Ottery St Mary, a water foam carrier from Exeter and incident command unit from Honiton were in attendance .
As well as battling the blaze crews were helping with moving cattle and other livestock to safety.
Crew commander Greg Webb from Middlemoor Fire Station's white watch said:"It was a fair sized barn and the layout, with lots of dried straw and chicken feed, meant the fire was very intense.
"We managed to get about 200 to 300 chickens out but sadly the rest perished.
"It was a very intense blaze with high temperatures and spread very quickly so they would not have suffered.
"The building was steel framed with timber cladding and it was totally destoyed. We could only look to stop in sprwading and then continue dampening down."