Login Register

Woman held after GP found dead

By WMNlynbarton  |  Posted: November 16, 2013

  • Dr Gary Hughes has been named locally as the man who was found dead at his home


A woman is being held on suspicion of murder after her GP husband was stabbed to death at their home in Cornwall.

Police and paramedics were called to the £700,000 bungalow in the pretty coastal village of Feock, Cornwall, at 7.40am yesterday.

Officers found the body of a man with stab wounds to the chest and he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

The man, who was named locally as Gary Hughes, had lived in Feock for a number of years and was a GP in the Camborne and Redruth area.

Related content

Police arrested a 58-year-old woman, believed to be Dr Hughes' wife, Marion, who was taken to hospital for what were described as non-life threatening injuries.

Dr Hughes' sister, Nina Davey, 51, who also lives in Feock, said the whole family was devastated by what had happened.

"It's hugely shocking.

"He was wonderful, absolutely wonderful.

"He was an amazing big brother and looked after everyone – just a lovely, lovely chap. He has two sons in their twenties and was a brilliant dad.

"He was also a very well respected GP and loved his job.

"Our whole family is in total shock – it's still all so raw."

It was unclear as the Western Morning News went to press whether Mrs Hughes had been interviewed, although detectives have not arrested anyone else in connection with the killing.

Detective Inspector Ben Beckerleg, of Devon and Cornwall Police said: "This is the beginning of an investigation.

"But early indications suggest this was a domestic incident and no-one else is being sought at this time.

"An investigation has now begun to fully understand the circumstances and events leading up to this man's death."

Dr Hughes, who qualified in 1977, was Senior Partner at the Clinton Road NHS surgery in Redruth, Cornwall.

The surgery's website lists his interests as obstetrics and family planning, and says in his spare time that he liked to go sailing.

A woman who answered the surgery's phones yesterday said: "Unfortunately the surgery has had to close because of a bereavement."

Dr Hughes was a popular member of the community and had recently held a party for friends, family and neighbours to celebrate his 60th birthday.

People living in the quiet, village, where the Hughes' had a bungalow overlooking the River Fal, said they were shocked by what had happened on their doorsteps.

Neighbour, Chris Young, said: "This is a very quiet area with very few passers-by."

Neighbours spoke of a sports-car driving GP who was happily married.

A female neighbour described Marion as a "very well-to-do, well-mannered lady".

She said: "She kept herself to herself.

"I didn't know Marion all that well but we used to see Gary and Marion from time to time and they seemed a nice couple.

"We're shocked to see this happen in our community."

Dr Hughes had continued a proud family tradition by following in his parents' footsteps, both of whom were well known GPs in Cornwall.

As an army doctor, his late mother treated the survivors of the Belsen concentration camp at the end of the Second World War.

Dr June Hughes, who died in February last year at the age of 91, was one of the first female doctors in Cornwall and married fellow GP Edward Hughes. They both worked as family doctors in picturesque villages around Truro from Chacewater to Feock, the latter of which was the location of their home and medical practice.

Read more from Western Morning News