Christmas has been saved for villagers who were forced to turn off their “higgledy-piggledy” lights following a health and safety complaint.
The Christmas tree outside the Royal Oak pub at Meavy, near Yelverton, was donated by villagers and lit via cables suspended from a garage across a country lane.
But Devon County Council said the cabling, which was plugged into a private garage and went up the gable end of a house, through an oak tree then over the other side of the tree, was “higgledy-piggledy” and not particularly safe.
Pub landlord Stephen Earp said he did not think the cabling was dangerous and that “the Grinch has taken away Christmas. How sad in this season of goodwill.”
The council was contacted by a concerned local resident on Saturday, and the issue was investigated by a highways officer, who recommended that the community install solar-powered lights or a 12-volt battery, rather than having the lights dangle over the road.
But now a lighting company is donating some solar lights to help the village get Christmas back on track.
Martin Bud, who runs Solar Spots, has come to the rescue after hearing about Meavy’s plight all the way up in Lancashire.
He will send solar lights to the village to help the tree sparkle once more.