Login Register

Chinnor pile the misery on Redruth with late victory

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: January 13, 2014

By Bill Hooper

Ben Priddey

Redruth flanker Ben Priddey dives in for a try against Chinnor at the Recreation Ground on Saturday. Picture: Simon Bryant

Comments (0)

DARK clouds continue to hang over the Recreation Ground as Redruth saw a morale-boosting win snatched away from them with the final kick of the game, when Chinnor’s Leo Fielding added the conversion to Matt Goode’s injury-time try to give the visitors a 26-25 success and inflict Redruth’s second home defeat of the season.

With still no wins on the road in National Two South this season, any losses at home serves only to ramp up the pressure on a small squad with few options to turn to.

The scoreline left Redruth head coach Ashley Morcom in a sombre mood after the game. He said. “I felt that we played some good rugby and deserved better, but sadly we let slip a good advantage in the final minutes. We made some crucial errors, allowing Chinnor to capitalise on them, taking full advantage.

“It is very, very frustrating to see all the good work during the game undone by carelessness in the final minutes, a few missed tackles and some handling errors have given Chinnor a bonus point win .

“I’d hoped we could plan our trip to Taunton next week on the back of a win here today, but that’s not now going to be, so it is going to be doubly difficult to build momentum going into that game.”

Chinnor began the game brightly getting the opening try of the game after just seven minutes as Jamie Townsend crossed near the posts, Fielding’s conversion making it 7-0.

The big Chinnor pack were giving the Reds a few headaches, especially in the line-outs, where the presence of Luke Collins was missed.

Brett Rule added the extras to Damien Cook’s terrific try following a typical break from Greg Goodfellow and a 30-metre canter in from the big lock, swatting off tackles en route to behind the sticks.

Redruth grabbed the lead on 28 minutes as Ben Priddey finished off a fine move involving Rule and Rhodri McAtee, but Rule could not add the extras.

Craig Williams started the second half in place of Adam Strick which seemed to improve the scrums.

Rule was on target with a 30-metre penalty just a couple of minutes into the second half, but Chinnor struck back almost immediately, scoring their second try in the scoreboard corner through George Blewitt.

Redruth piled the pressure on Chinnor kicking a penalty into the Piggy Lane corner and from the line-out laying siege to their line. Further penalties saw Chinnor lose Andrew Smith the sin bin.

The Reds sensed their chance with Cook powering over for his second try and Redruth secured the try-scoring bonus point with a fourth touchdown scored by McAtee from a pass by Goodfellow in Hellfire Corner.

Chinnor got a try back through full-back Ricky Hopwood, with Fielding adding the conversion after 72 minutes.

Redruth looked to have done enough for the win, but Goode’s last-gasp try in the scoreboard corner presented Fielding with the chance for Chinnor to secure the win. His excellent kick crushed the Reds and left the home faithful in a state of shock at the final whistle.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters