Login Register

Chelsea close gap at the top after Manchester City stun Arsenal

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: December 14, 2013

Chelsea close gap at the top after Manchester City stun Arsenal

Chelsea scorer Fernando Torres

Comments (0)

Chelsea held on to second place in the Barclays Premier League despite Manchester City thumping leaders Arsenal 6-3.

Jose Mourinho’s side saw off relegation battlers Crystal Palace 2-1 at Stamford Bridge, thanks to goals from Fernando Torres and Ramires.

Tony Pulis’ gritty Palace side made Chelsea work hard for a 2-1 half-time lead, Marouane Chamakh even drawing the visitors level with his third goal in his last three league appearances.

Chelsea were put under further pressure after the break but dug in to record their fourth win in five league matches.

The victory was enough to keep City down in third, despite that stunning 6-3 win over Arsenal for Manuel Pellegrini’s side.

City had extended their 100 per cent home record to eight league matches in Saturday’s lunchtime kick-off, reaching 34 home goals for the season so far in the process.

Fernandinho’s brace and goals for Sergio Aguero, Alvaro Negredo, David Silva and Yaya Toure helped City steamroller to victory.

Theo Walcott twice gave Arsenal slight hope of a comeback but by the time Per Mertesacker claimed a late third, the damage was long done.

Seamus Coleman’s third Premier League goal of the season secured Everton’s third win in four games and moved the Merseyside men up to fourth in the table.

Dimitar Berbatov slotted his second penalty in as many league matches to draw Fulham level at 1-1 in the second half.

But defender Coleman’s finish, a Gareth Barry header and a late Kevin Mirallas goal helped Everton pull off a 4-1 victory.

Roberto Martinez’s side had held a 1-0 half-time lead through Leon Osman’s goal on his 300th club appearance as they extended their unbeaten league run to six matches.

Cardiff broke their three-and-a-half match goal duck when Peter Whittingham headed Craig Noone’s cross home in the Welsh side’s home clash with West Brom.

After a goalless first half, Malky Mackay’s side plundered a 1-0 lead just past the hour and it proved enough to guide them to their first league win in six matches.

Jay Rodriguez’s second-half equaliser saw Southampton scramble a 1-1 draw against Newcastle at St James’ Park.

Yoan Gouffran had finished well for his sixth goal of the season after Mike Williamson’s header to hand Newcastle a 1-0 half-time lead.

Guy Demel had the ball in the back of the net for West Ham against Sunderland - but referee Andre Marriner ruled it out for a foul on Lee Cattermole and the match ended in a goalless draw which is little help to either team.

Hull and Stoke drew 0-0 in the evening kick-off at the KC Stadium, where the visitors' Stephen Ireland had a goal disallowed for offside and Ryan Shawcross hit the crossbar.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters