Login Register

Boss filmed and 'egged on' worker who raped an unconscious woman in broad daylight

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: August 02, 2013


Comments (0)

A foreman who filmed and egged on one of his workers as he raped an unconscious woman in a town centre street has admitted taking part in the attack.

Stephen Ball, 39, was leading a group of shopfitters working on a pub in Bideford, Devon, when they went out drinking and met the woman who became victim of their attack.

She collapsed in the heart of Bideford after being plied with vodka and horrified passers-by intervened when they saw a man having oral sex with her as Ball laughed and filmed the scene on a mobile phone.

Rapist Richard Evans was jailed for four and a half years at Exeter Crown Court after police were called to the scene and experts recovered the footage from Ball’s phone.

Part of the incident had also been captured by CCTV cameras covering Jubilee Square in Bideford.

Ball, of Littlewood Lane, Walsall, admitted the charge of encouraging rape and his case was adjourned for pre-sentence reports by Judge Francis Gilbert, QC.

Evans, of Dyas Avenue, Birmingham, admitted rape at the same court in June and was jailed by the same judge.

During that case the court heard how both men had been laughing and joking during the sex assault.

Horrified shop workers in a newsagent overlooking the scene called police and passers-by including a 15-year-old boy shouted for them to stop.

At one point Evans picked up the lifeless woman and pretended they were hugging like a normal couple to try and deceive the onlookers.

The offence was caught on town centre CCTV cameras as he pulled down his trousers and thrust himself towards the woman, who was slumped against railings.

Evans and Ball were working on a pub redevelopment and met the woman when they went drinking after work.

She was seen on CCTV drinking vodka in the Square where she passed out and Ball was caught on CCTV filming the sex attack.

Police seized his phone as soon as they arrived and although he tried to delete the footage it was recovered from the memory by experts and showed him egging on Evans.

David Sapiecha, prosecuting, told the earlier hearing: ”The footage recovered from the mobile phone was distressing and showed close up images of an unconscious woman with her mouth open.

“The other man is saying to Evans to commit the offence and it shows him thrusting in and out. The prosecution say this offence was aggravated by being in a very public area in broad daylight and being filmed.

“The film was deleted when the police arrived but if it had not been, it was a degrading piece of footage and we don’t know where it would have ended up.”

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters