Login Register

Bodmin stand in way of Helston

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: March 08, 2013

Comments (0)

Helston Athletic are through to the Westinsure Cornwall Senior Cup final for the first time since 1937 following their dramatic win after extra time over Newquay at Treyew Road, Truro, on Tuesday.

Substitute James Miller was Helston's hero as he came off the bench to score two goals to ensure Sid Taylor's men booked their place in Easter Monday's final at Saltash United's Kimberley Stadium.

They will face Bodmin Town, who came back from two goals down to beat Penryn Athletic in the second semi-final at Wadebridge Town's Bodieve Park on Wednesday.

It was an agonising night on Tuesday for Newquay, who looked on course for victory thanks to Luke Weldhen's 49th-minute strike. But, with the tie in the fifth minute of injury time, Miller dramatically sent the game into extra time with what turned out to be the last kick of normal time.

Mark Goldsworthy put Helston 2-1 in front five minutes into extra time, but back came Newquay as Weldhen scored his second goal of the night in the 99th minute.

However, the night belonged to Helston and Miller, who, with five minutes of extra time remaining, smashed the ball into the bottom corner to seal a 3-2 win for the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League Division One West side.

The following night, it was the turn of Bodmin's Adam Carter to hit the winning goal, one which ended the resistance of plucky Penryn.

Darren Gilbert's Bodmin side are the Senior Cup holders and they will be playing in their fourth final in a row, but the reigning Peninsula League Premier Division champions struggled badly to begin with against Penryn.

Sean Johnson gave the Peninsula League Division One West the lead with a fine finish after 14 minutes, and he soon doubled their advantage.

Not long afterwards, though, Bodmin's Lewis Reed headed home from a corner to halve the deficit, and Chris Luxton levelled the tie just before the half-time break.

Carter struck the decisive goal for Bodmin midway through the second half, and they hung on to win 3-2 despite Shane Krac being sent off after he was shown his second yellow card of the night.

Goalkeeper Paul Hider has left Truro City after a short stay with the Blue Square Bet South club. He has a back injury which will not heal this season, according to Truro.

Buckland Athletic scored three goals inside the first 15 minutes of their 4-2 home win over Wells City on Wednesday in the Premier Division of the Toolstation Western League. Chris Wright (with two), Ethan Phillips and Mike Booth were on target for the hosts.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters