Login Register

Bodmin are given fright by Witheridge

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: September 03, 2012

Comments (0)

Reigning Carlsberg South West Peninsula League champions Bodmin Town were given a run for their money as Witheridge hit back after finding themselves 2-0 down in the first half at Edge Down Park.

Darren Gilbert's side took four minutes to open their account in their 3-2 win as Danny O'Hagan – who later suffered a broken ankle – opened the scoring before Tom Chambers headed Bodmin's second, after Adam Carter's effort had come back off the home crossbar.

Witheridge pressed hard after the break and were rewarded when Jordan Charran broke clear to pull a goal back. Bodmin responded with Carter heading home Sam Matthews' cross and, although Witheridge had James Turner sent off, Charran grabbed his second of the game 15 minutes from time.

Elburton Villa's 100 % record went crashing at Haye Road as they lost 2-1 to Bovey Tracey.

Villa only had themselves to blame as they missed several chances, while Hayden Roe showed them the way by scoring twice for the Moorlanders. The hosts finally found the back of the visitors' net on the stroke of full-time, when Saam Khahbazan scored from close range.

Cullompton Rangers' only victory of the season prior to this weekend came on the opening Saturday, when they won 1-0 at Bovey, but after a run of four consecutive defeats they gained their second success as Aiden Moyles' header and a Gary Wills penalty saw them win 2-0 at Torpoint Athletic this weekend.

Cullompton manager Dane Bunney said: "We made new signings in the past week which we feel tipped the scales in our favour, and Torpoint really couldn't complain at the result as the team that worked the hardest on the day won the match."

Penzance's new manager, John Dent, included three new signings for the visit of Ivybridge Town, but the visitors recorded their first win of the season as goals from Ben Smallridge (two), Steve Sutton (two), James Noble, Shae Saunders and Fin Gilfillan gave them a 7-0 victory.

Tom Stocco gave Liverton the lead at Liskeard Athletic, who rescued a point when Lyle Johnson scored in the final of at Lux Park.

Ross Saint's 86th-minute strike gave Saltash United a 1-0 victory at home to Falmouth Town, while Kevin Murt and Liam Dingle were Camelford's scorers as the beat Newquay 2-0 at Trefrew Park on Friday.

A second Friday game saw three second-half goals from Martin Giles, Nick Campbell and Carl Rickard earn St Austell a 3-0 win at Launceston.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters