Login Register

Bideford take spoils in battle of the Robins

By Western Morning News  |  Posted: December 27, 2012

Comments (0)

Bideford bounced back to winning ways with a 1-0 Boxing Day victory at Frome in the Evo Stik League Southern Premier.

Former Exeter City central defender Jack Furzer was the Devon side's goal hero with a 62nd-minute winner in the clash of the Robins at the Aldersmith Stadium.

Furzer fired home through a crowded goalmouth as Bideford moved above their hosts into 15th place in the Southern League top flight ahead of next Tuesday's home New Year's game against sixth-placed Weymouth, themselves 1-0 home winners over Bashley yesterday.

Bideford got off to a flying start at Frome, with Sean Downing's first-minute effort coming back off the post while skipper Matt Hockley had a first-half penalty superbly saved by Darren Chitty.

Frome – who hit the bar in the second half – were also denied by two top saves by Bideford keeper Paul Hider.

In Division One South & West, Tiverton Town's home game against Clevedon Town was postponed along with Taunton's short Somerset derby trip to Bridgwater.

The North Devon derby between Barnstaple Town and Ilfracombe was one of seven Toolstation Western League Premier Division matches to lose out to the weather after waterlogged Mill Road failed a morning pitch inspection.

Willand Rovers' eagerly anticipated Devon derby against Buckland Athletic was also washed out while the cross-county border derby between Wellington – from Somerset – and Tiverton's Elmore was one of five matches postponed in the First Division.

Calne's Wiltshire derby against Corsham Town was abandoned after 43 minutes with the game goalless.

Meanwhile, Truro City's home Boxing Day Blue Square South game against Dorchester Town was called off less than 30 minutes before the scheduled 3pm kick-off after referee Mark Pottage ruled the pitch was unsafe after more heavy rain.

It was the second City game to be called off in succession after last Saturday's trip to leaders Salisbury City also fell victim to the awful weather and they will be now hoping that this Saturday's home match, their last of 2012, against Weston-super-Mare can go ahead.

The postponement delayed the return to Treyew Road of former Torquay United defender Steve Adams, who had been named in the starting line-up.

He "retired" at the end of last season after 118 City appearances and just one goal, but has now agreed to come back.

Read more from Western Morning News

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters