Login Register

UPDATE: Man arrested in connection with Barnstaple firearms incident

By e_glanfield  |  Posted: December 03, 2013

  • The suspect was taken away by police officers.

  • Officers warned members of the public to remain clear of the area during the operation which lasted more than three hours.

  • Officers warned members of the public to remain clear of the area during the operation which lasted more than three hours.

  • A number of dog units were involved in the operation.

  • The suspect was lead out of the building and placed into a police car.

  • The suspect was lead out of the building and placed into a police car.

  • The suspect was driven away by police.

  • Forensic teams have begun their search of the property.

A 32-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm following a stand-off in Barnstaple last night.

Armed police officers stormed the property in Castle Street at around 7.40pm following a stand-off which lasted more than three hours.

Six armed units and several police dog units were called to the house shortly after 4pm after receiving reports from the ambulance service of a man in possession of a firearm who was said to be threatening to harm himself and others who approached him.

Police closed Castle Street and The Strand and asked members of the public to avoid the area while they dealt with the unfolding incident.

Shortly after 7.15pm, armed officers at the scene started banging on the door of the property and asked the man to evacuate with his hands in the air.

They received no response and after asking the suspect five times to leave the property, officers forced entry to the property.

Journal reporter Peter Brown said a man was then led from the property.

He said: “Once officers breached the door, a conversation ensued between officers and the suspect for around five minutes before he was led from building and put on ground outside.

“A police car then pulled up from the Cattle Market direction and officers put the man in the car.

“For the most part it all seems to be over now. There was only one person who was led out of the building.”

The man has been arrested on suspicion of firearm offences and has been taken into police custody.

However, an officer at the scene confirmed at this stage no weapon has been found.

Following the latest development, police relaxed the cordon at the scene and reopened the road.

However, officers remained at the scene of the property late last night and it is understood an investigation team entered the house to carry out a search.

There have been no reports of injuries.

A Devon and Cornwall Police spokesman last night thanked the local community for their patience while officers dealt with the incident.

A statement said: "Following a planned operation the male was safely negotiated with and on surrendering himself to officers he was arrested.

"The police would like to thank the local community for their cooperation and patience during the period the cordon was in place."

Earlier yesterday afternoon Devon and Cornwall Police said they were concerned for the welfare of the man inside the property but said they did not believe anybody was injured.

Officers were unable to confirm what weapons the man had in his possession but said members of the public should stay away from the area.

An officer at the scene earlier this evening said: “We are securing and containing the incident to protect everyone.

“In a normal situation like this we would evacuate a street but it’s not really possible to do so because there are so many buildings.

“We are hoping for a peaceful resolution.”

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR