Login Register

Asbestos dumped at Exmoor beauty site 24 hours after being cleared

By NDJFran  |  Posted: December 19, 2013

Breakneck

Rodney Cann and Exmoor National Park chairman Andrea Davis

Comments (0)

AN Exmoor beauty spot has been blighted after asbestos was dumped there — just 24 hours after the site was cleared.

Breakneck Hole near Challacombe was subject to fly tipping in January 2013 when a commercial operator dumped hundreds of items of furniture at the site.

It took several months for the site to be cleared at a cost of £1,500 to North Devon Council.

But just hours after the site was finally cleared someone dumped asbestos on it which district councillor Rodney Cann is keen to tell the public is highly toxic.

“I think this is just an irresponsible commercial operator,” he said. “They are trying to avoid the cost of disposing of a dangerous substance.

“This is going to cost the tax payer a significant amount of money.”

Mr Cann, who is also the lead member for environment at the council, said the asbestos will be removed as soon as possible.

“It is quite safe as long as people don’t remove it,” he added.

He said the council will foot the bill for removing the waste and then look at clawing back some of the expense from other authorities.

Clearing the site cost £1,500 last time, of which £300 was contributed by Devon County Council.

“We found some of the material there previously was hazardous, which actually cost more than the £1,500 quoted,” said Mr Cann.

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES

 
 
 

MOST POPULAR